Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

What is the difference between a ER doctor and a Surgeon?

3 Answers

  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

    Emergency medicine includes very few surgical procedures, and those are quite limited in both scope and the time it takes to perform them. It's a lot....and I mean a LOT.... more medical than surgical. You're doubtless thinking of major trauma, but these days most of those go to a major trauma center where surgeons are immediately available. If for some reason they don't, the emergency physician might intubate, place chest tubes, and begin transfusions along with other stabilizing measures, but it's the surgeon who goes into the belly and stops the bleeding.

  • 1 decade ago

    Surgeons perform surgery. Doctors, ER and others, include surgeons, diagnosticians, radiologists, anesthesiologists, therapy directors, a wealth of care providers. Surgeons make up only a small proportionof the total number of ER doctors.

  • Anonymous
    5 years ago

    Simply put: Physicians have full responsibility, get paid somewhat more ($90K-500K+), have more range of knowledge due to more schooling (college degee + MD or DO + internship + residency and possibly fellowship), and they answer to themselves only (medically). PA's have less responsibility (less or no call, have a MD supervising, etc), get paid somewhat less ($90K-250K), has mmore limited knowledge (2 years of college + 2 1/2 yrs of PA school), and they have to answer to their supervising physicians. If you want to be your own boss and make decision, but don't mind sacrificing your personal life, then physician is the way to go. If you just want to be a member of the medical field without as much grueling hardship of being a physician, and if you don't mind having someone supervising you all the time, then go for PA.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.