Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Is there a way to connect my new MP3 player up to speakers?

My mom just bought my dad an MP3 player for Christmas, a Sharper Image 4GB MP3/Video Player. He's been saying he wants one that he can play through speakers with a screen so he can select songs, BUT he didn't want an Ipod or a Zune. (he says they just cost TOO much money.....)

Anywho - we got a great price on the MP3 player, but I'm hoping there is a way to hook it up to a boom box or speakers or something (other then a computer.) Any tips? Ideas?

2 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Anything with an "auxiliary" or "audio-in" port will play the MP3 player's music with a simple 3.5mm aux cable, which you can pick up at any radio shack or for about 2 dollars on the internet. You can also use a 3.5mm to dual RCA (red and white) cable to play through most stereo systems or televisions if they aren't equipped with a 3.5mm audio-in port.

3.5mm is the measurement of the headphone jack. The headphones that plug into the mp3 player are 3.5mm (probably). The aux cable will look like the plug on the headphones, except on both ends. The 3.5mm to dual rca will have the headphone jack on one end and a red and white plug on the other that will plug into the corresponding color-coded jacks on the TV or stereo. Then you'd select "aux" or something to that effect on the device you're connecting the mp3 player to.

• 1 decade ago

Hi Lindsay,

Yes you can link your ipod/mp3 player to any stereo (or cinema sound system) that has got an aux (auxillary) input.

Check the back of the unit (stereo) if its got them it will have 2 round sockets (prob one white and one red). You should be able to get a connection cable from any electrical store like commet or curry's possibly even pc world.

Just connect the ipod/mp3 to the stereo and select the aux setting (wich will be on your selector swich for cd, tuner(radio) tape etc).

Hope this helps you lindsay.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.