Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetComputer Networking · 1 decade ago

Does anyone around here feel like teaching me how to set up a web/email server for the fun of it?

If you are the sort who knows how to configure a Linksys router, a couple PCs (one XP laptop and one Vista box) on a LAN, hooked to that router, and then how to set up one of those PCs (the Vista box) as a Win Vista/IIS 6.0 (that comes with Win Vista) server -- so that the Vista PC can serve up a web site (starting with an INDEX.HTM file on down), act as its own DNS server, act as a FTP server (to support FTP into the server for remote file add/update/delete work), and maybe act as a couple POP3/SMTP email servers (so the Vista machine can host the web site with support @ website.com email traffic), etc. -- then I really would like to chat with you live and in person... maybe even toss some $$ your way for a couple hrs of admin work.

IF you happen to live anywhere near Bellingham WA (NW corner of the USA) that would be frosting on the cake.

I thought I could make this work, but after 2+ days of screwing with it all I managed to get was a couple tests to work, and a couple PCs that could not browse the web, in trade for a HTTP server that does diddly squat. So far nobody can tell me what the h*#% I am doing wrong.

HELP. Please. :)

Update:

Shhhhh. Comcast does not block the needed ports, gives you one static IP (w/o advertising the fact) to work with, and, apparently, will let you go for it w/o paying extra (they already charge too much anyway) for a business account. Could be something to do with the state of WA regs though. Who knows? Anyway, still need a warm body with some NetAdmin knowledge...

1 Answer

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Have you checked with your ISP to see if they even allow you to run a sever on a home connection? Most don't!

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.