Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDiet & Fitness · 1 decade ago

Is stricter form with a lighter weight more efficient in weightlifting?

is it more efficient than using a heavier weight with less good form? Thanks

And is it okay to go up to 15 reps for hypertrophy?

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Neither. You want the maximum weight that will fully tire your muscles at 10-12 reps WITHOUT damaging your form. Here, this site has tons of great info: http://tinyurl.com/ydv4uqp

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

well, the best thing to do is to use a heavy, taxing weight AND have good form. but if you can't do that yet, keep working with lighter weight and slowly move up. eventually the form will be automatic, so that when you work out, you can use a heavy weight and focus more on the effort than on your form.

up to 15 reps is okay for hypertrophy but if you have to ask, you might worry about building up a good strength base first :)

Source(s): 3 years weightlifting
  • 1 decade ago

bad form = bad injury. never do an exercise with bad form because you're just increasing the odds of hurting yourself.

in response to some previous posts - if you want big muscles (i.e. bodybuilding), you need to do high reps (10-15 reps) with low weights. if you want strength building (i.e. weightlifting), you need to do low reps (3-5) with high weight. you obviously can't do high reps and high weight (that's irrational because if you can do 12 reps of one weight, you can certainly do heavier weight).

another thing bodybuilders do by using low weight, is they can greatly focus on specific muscle groups. so, if your question is what can best target my lats (e.g.) for increased size, tone, etc., then yes, you need to focus on lighter weights and reps in the range of 10-15.

hypertrophy is edema in the muscles (water moving into the muscles). it's a temporary benefit. after doing high reps, your muscles get that 'swol' look - this will fade after 30 min - 1 hr.

also, 15 reps is no problem. you could do much higher reps (note: still maintaining good form) and not see any adverse consequences. milos sarcev once said [in reference to leg press] that he'll do 100s of reps. i personally prefer low reps, high weight - but i just have different goals.

• ?
    Lv 4
    5 years ago

regrettably, that's only one in all an prolonged checklist of evidences of the lack of outrage China has for its voters, and positively, for the the remainder of the international. the only ingredient significant to them is the almighty Yuan. i do no longer keep in mind the proper variety, yet 1000's of them die in coal mining injuries each 3 hundred and sixty 5 days. And 1000's of people have been given contaminated with AIDS because of the fact the corporation amassed their blood, extracted the money making ingredient from it, and then reinfused it. regrettably, they did no longer separate the guy collections yet incredibly saved all of it jointly in one pool. So one guy or woman who had AIDS subsequently contaminated each donor. There are components the place there is not any water to drink that has no longer been severely polluted via commercial runoff of one style or yet another. the concern isn't lots with the bulbs themselves, besides the fact that they do incorporate a small volume of mercury and may be disposed of precise, yet with the insistence on procuring them from somebody who would not care how their manufacture impacts its own people.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.