How much is life in heaven described in the Bible? What do Christians really know about it, from scriptures?

I'm agnostic, and therefore a little biased in asking the question. But from my memories of studying the Bible, I don't think the scriptures ever describe Heaven very much.

I ask the question partly because of a recent query by an atheist, positing a heaven in which nothing ever occurs except for angels & resurrected Christians endlessly praising God.

OTOH, most Christians have at least heard rumors about the Muslim Paradise supposedly offering dead warrior martyrs the chance to achieve erotic bliss with 70 virgins.

Assuming that you're a good Protestant and a bit of a fundamentalist, what can you really say about Heaven based on what you read in the canonical books of the Bible?

I don't remember any references in the Christian scriptures to the 70 virgins. I do recall verses from Revelation indicating that Heaven will be filled with praise to God. I also recall Jesus saying at one time, "They do not marry in heaven, nor are they given in marriage, but live like the angels," or words to that effect.

Aside from that, though, I don't recall Heaven being described in the Bible in any detail. Can other R&S members recall any more detail, either for the reassurance of the faithful or for the scorn of the atheists?

• Moi
    Favorite Answer

Very little.

Scripture states that we cannot even inagine it. Jesus says there are many mansions there prepared for the faithful. Paul visited heaven but was not allowed to speak directly about it. The Book of Revelation (mainly chaps 21&22) describes it figuratively.

There are NO virgins in heaven because there is NO FLESH in heaven.

1Cr 15:50 Now this I say, brethren, that flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God; neither doth corruption inherit incorruption.

• ?

good question. could we are saying that God is residing in heaven? i might think of "definite". yet that does no longer advise that anybody guy or woman is there yet. For the bible of course states that heaven/hell at the instant are not allowed for all people till they're judged by potential of Christ on the Judgment Seat. And that has no longer surpassed off yet! Ergo, the lifeless are lifeless and are..........waiting. regardless of "this" heaven is, we don't understand for the bible dais no longer say something approximately it. Why? because of fact it is easily beside the point to us in "this" existence. no person is there and no person is going there. besides the undeniable fact that, there'll be a sparkling Heaven and a sparkling Earth that's advised approximately and defined in Rev 21. the recent Jerusalem stands out as the recent Heaven which will in no way close the gates and could be lit by potential of the vast difference of God. there'll be no choose for solar and moon and stars for "the vast difference of God will gentle up it" (v.23).

• ?

i have described in details about various theology related to this question several times.

i can telll you the bible says there is a third heaven a seventh heaven and God dwells in a heaven above all heavens.

total is 9 levels plus ONE

p.s. it is possible i could be wrong about this simple interpretation, the ninth level might indeed be where God dwells but it also says God dwells in everlasting fire.

which when speaking of fire, is generally thought of as hell

The eye witness account of heaven was in the Book of Enoch, conveniently left out of the Bible.

• ed f

There is also apparently some system of rank, according to Jesus. I can't remember to much more other than it is comparable to Canaan, or the promised land. "flowing with milk and honey"

1 Corinthians 2:9

"But as it is written, Eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which God hath prepared for them that love him."

pretty much all of Revolations is about heaven