Has anyone been on buspar long term?

Is it safe to be on it long term? I know that it is a pretty mild medication. It not entirely effective but it does give me some relief, I just don't watn to be on those potent benzos and ssri's make me feel like a zombie. Ive been on it about six months now, and not sure if I should wean off as it says its for short term use. Has anyone been on it long term? Is it safe to take?

Favorite Answer

It's interesting that many people do well on buspar. I was on it for almost two months and I got such severe dizzy spells that I wound up in the hospital for a few days. However, as you probably know, people can react to psych meds very differently. Very few people would have my problem.

As far as I could tell from looking at the internet, people have taken buspar for up to a year with no ill effects. After one year, you should check with your doctor to see if you still need buspar and whether it is safe to continue taking it.

At this point, however, it sounds like you are doing fine. Now, you might consider cutting back on the buspar very slowly and seeing how you feel. If you feel ok, then cut back a little more. I ain't a doctor, so it is wise to check with your doctor first.

There is a website called www.healthyplace.com. This is what the site says about the long term use of buspar:

" The effectiveness of buspirone in long-term use, that is, for more than 3 to 4 weeks, has not been demonstrated in controlled trials. . . . However, in a study of long-term use, 264 patients were treated with buspirone for 1 year without ill effect. Therefore, the physician who elects to use buspirone for extended periods should periodically reassess the usefulness of the drug for the individual patient."

The entire link for the excerpt above is: http://www.healthyplace.com/other-info/psychiatric...

As your anxiety decreases, you might consider seeing a psychotherapist about it, if you have not done so already. Therapy can give you insight into why you were feeling so anxious. Also, a good therapist can offer suggestions on how to cope with anxiety or stressful events without resorting to medication. Therapy was very helpful and it may (or may not) be helpful for you.

You may not need therapy, but research shows that therapy plus psychiatric meds is generally more effective than meds alone or therapy alone. I wish you the best.

Buspar Effectiveness

• avina

Side Effects Of Buspar

My PCP assures me it does not have any long term side-effects. I use it to help me sleep, and was informed by my MD and my pharmacist that I can still take Xanax to assist in getting back to sleep because the two drugs do not interact and work totally differently. What's even better about Buspar is that it is non-habit forming. And you can take up to 15 mg every 8 hours. So I am doing half a tab at bedtime (as needed) to fall asleep and the other half later to get back to sleep. Finally, I do not wake up in the morning 'hung over' like I did with Tylenol PM &/or Z-Quill. My thinking is clearer and I feel more like my real self. Buspar has been a god-send.

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Has anyone been on buspar long term?

Is it safe to be on it long term? I know that it is a pretty mild medication. It not entirely effective but it does give me some relief, I just don't watn to be on those potent benzos and ssri's make me feel like a zombie. Ive been on it about six months now, and not sure if I should wean...

Source(s): buspar long term: https://shortly.im/q5UWl

I also would almost consider Buspar a placebo because the way it "works" (lol) is completely different from benzo's and don't interact with GABA receptors. Buspar has no potential for abuse, and I'm not sure it is even a psychoactive drug.

• justme

I've been taking it for a few months now and it really helps my anxiety. I am also worried about the effects on my kidney and liver if I am on it for a long time. So I take the lowest dose I can. When I am anxious I up my dose a little bit and then take it back again during leisurely summer months. It has helped me a lot, but like you I don't know if I am harming myself by taking it for a long time.

I dont think its a placebo at all... I have been takin it over 3 yrs, I started right after my mom passed away...& they helped me tremendously ...but the dr that prescribed them to me left out little town, & I cant really find a dr I like now... so I havnt had a chance to talk to a dr about long term use, but I have winged myself off several times, with no problem, but the anxiety crept back up as big as it had before, so I just continues use... I have been concerned about any organs that it may be effecting, bc my mother and father both had renal failure... so ive been worried about my kidneys & liver...

I have been on it for 25 years, and as far as I can tell there are know long term side effects.

these are things you should be asking the person that gave them to you. but yes buspirone can be used long term for treating anxiety. some people will stay on it for years. never withdraw from these or benzos without setting up a withdrawl plan with a doctor. regardless of what they say, there are bad and even dangerous withdrawls.

Source(s): I took paxil for a year, and than buspar. quit both, neither work.