Difference Between Serial ATA Drive and SSD?

i wanted to buy a macbook pro and i can choose between these drives and the SSD has way less space but costs way more. why?

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

SSD is actually also sata.

SATA is the link over which the data is sent back and forth from your HardDrive.

your choice was between a Hard Disk Drive (HDD) and a Solid State Drive (SSD).

HDD: old(er) technology, great for data density but is prone to mechanical failure.

SSD: new tech that doesn't store as much as HDD for the same physical space but makes up for it with ULTRAfast reading and writing speeds. Also SSD dont have any moving parts so if u knock it around its more durable (like the Nano vs the 30GB iPod video)

so depends on what you want, snappiness, pick SSD, otherwise HDD.

since its a laptop, ull probably have an external drive, but depending on how big the SSD is and your use habbits, it could get really frustrating.

Source(s): hobby.
  • David
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

SATA is the connection used for Solid State Drives and Hard Disk Drives (SSD HDD). SSD drives are much faster because there are no moving parts. They are like usb flash drives on steroids. They also use less power for the same reason. They are more expensive because GB for GB, flash memory is more expensive than hard disk memory. For most users, I will suggest a HDD (SATA) drive because they are cheaper and have a higher capacity. If you have an extreme need for speed and have some extra cash, you can make a faster, longer battery life computer with a SDD.

• 3 years ago

What Is An Ata Drive

• 1 decade ago

SSDs have less ability to crash therefore costing way more. Just get a regular harddrive. Save you like hundreds of dollars.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.