how is the disney movie song of the south racist?

what was said that was racist? ive never seen it? did he say he was a slave?

Favorite Answer

Disney is somewhat racist, and certainly a top contributor to sterotypes and general prejudice in many of their productions. Haven't you ever seen the Disney channel?

It depicts blacks as most whites saw them, a little idealized, back when it was made. Yes, it can probably be called racist. But I think it serves as a mile marker for how far we have come. You have Song of the South, and now, Disney finally has a black Princess.

Check out my review.

There are two things that riled up the protest groups.

First, the portrayal of Uncle Remus was as a happy, easy going sharecropper. The reality was that being a sharecropper was little better than being a slave.

Secondly, in one of the animated segments, Brer Wolf and Brer Bear use a tar baby (derogatory term for blacks) to capture Brer Rabbit.

Honestly, it's pretty harmless when you compare it to the crows in Dumbo.

• Grace

I don't think it has ever been released on DVD or video. I saw it in a theater when I was a kid (around 1969/1970?). I didn't think much of it at the time, although I understand now what the controversy is all about.

The problem is the way that it portrays the characters. Also the man telling the children the stories is a slave.

if you saw the original version uncensored. You'd say that it's definetly racist because of the references to African Americans that were "acceptable" in those days.

Source(s): Different times, different people, different preferances, different UNIVERSE

cause Jesse Jackson and his group made a big deal and said it was..it is harmless and should be on DVD and it isnt!!!!!!

Source(s): bap