? asked in Education & ReferenceHomework Help · 1 decade ago

did martin luther king steal the I have a dream part of his speech?

my psychology teacher told me that he stole the i have a dream part. That some white man came up with it. What was that mans name?

Favorite Answer

Critics have charged that King plagiarized that too by borrowing from a speech given to the Republican convention in 1952 by an African-American preacher named Archibald Carey, Jr.

Some of them say he gave Cary's speech word-for-word.

It can probably be said that King borrowed from the idea of the speech by Carey (who was a friend of King's), but only the last couple of paragraph's resembled Carey's speech and little of it is word-for-word.

Both men spun their remarks off the words of the song "My Country 'Tis of Thee."

King's speech ended with:

This will be the day when all of God's children will be able to sing with a new meaning, "My country, 'tis of thee, sweet land of liberty, of thee I sing. Land where my fathers died, land of the pilgrim's pride, from every mountainside, let freedom ring." And if America is to be a great nation, this must become true. So let freedom ring from the prodigious hilltops of New Hampshire. Let freedom ring from the mighty mountains of New York. Let freedom ring from the heightening Alleghenies of Pennsylvania! Let freedom ring from the snowcapped Rockies of Colorado! Let freedom ring from the curvaceous peaks of California! But not only that; let freedom ring from Stone Mountain of Georgia! Let freedom ring from Lookout Mountain of Tennessee! Let freedom ring from every hill and every molehill of Mississippi. From every mountainside, let freedom ring.

When we let freedom ring, when we let it ring from every village and every hamlet, from every state and every city, we will be able to speed up that day when all of God's children, black men and white men, Jews and Gentiles, Protestants and Catholics, will be able to join hands and sing in the words of the old ***** spiritual, "Free at last! free at last! thank God Almighty, we are free at last!"

Carey's speech ended with:

We, ***** Americans, sing with all loyal Americans: My country 'tis of thee, Sweet land of liberty, Of thee I sing. Land where my fathers died, Land of the Pilgrims' pride From every mountainside Let freedom ring!

That's exactly what we mean--from every mountain side, let freedom ring. Not only from the Green Mountains and White Mountains of Vermont and New Hampshire; not only from the Catskills of New York; but from the Ozarks in Arkansas, from the Stone Mountain

in Georgia, from the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia--let it ring not only for the minorities of the United States, but for the disinherited of all the earth--may the Republican Party, under God, from every mountainside,

LET FREEDOM RING!

• pooser

Martin Luther King Plagiarism

It is a misnomer to accuse Martin Luther King of 'stealing' ideas and text for speeches.

Stealing means to illegally take possession or control of another's property. Dr. King delivered his speeches long before the current idiocy of copyright thefts by singing a song in public. Dr. King didn't illegally take possession of anybody's 'intellectual property' to make this speech. Dr. King wasn't selling admission to a performance where there was limited access and profits raised by those attending, and he certainly didn't owe anybody anything for re-using parts of a speech.

Dr. King was preaching a sermon and fighting the Democratic party controlled government, who's platform at the time was to keep the black man in his place.

According to Wikipedia: "Approximately twenty percent, the last two minutes, of King's historic speech bears a strong resemblance to a speech delivered in 1952 at the Republican National Convention by Reverend Archibald Carey, Jr., a personal friend of King's. Many, however, believe that the similarities are so slight that they do not come close to the level of plagiarism."

Reverend Archibald Carey, Jr. was black, by the way.

I'm white and don't have an axe to grind, by the way. I just can't stand to see someone lied about, as well as having stupid, stupid ex-post facto rules applied retroactively, 50 years later for absolutely no good reason.

The man who was supposedly robbed had as much to gain from the speech as Mr. King. Respect.

If Martin Luther King had 'stolen' my words for the "I had a dream" speech, I would be proud and grateful forever, that I'd had anything to do with such an important part of history.

Source(s): wikipedia

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Source(s): martin luther king steal dream part speech: https://tr.im/m76aV

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/awkAO

Some of the most racist people in America reside in liberal and black communities. They have prostituted Kings message, and made it an excuse for hate, violence, intolerance, theft, class envy. I highly doubt King would have pissed on Obama's head if his hair were on fire.

oh hell no, no he didnt!!!!!!!!!!