promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

My First PC custom Build?

I just read and understand how to build a PC. and after finding all the part i need i wonder if i choose

the right one. Remember that this is a BUDGET build.

_CPU=AMD Athlon II X4 620 2.6GHz (it is a quad core so i decide to choose it)

_Motherboard=Asus M4A785-M (socket AM3 so it should go with the cpu)

_Video Card=Sapphire ATI Radeon HD4650 512MB DDR3(Why did the put DDR3?what does it mean?)

_RAM=NEED Help.the motherboard support DDR2 so do i choose DDR2 or 3 and what about the PIN COUNT? and this is what the motherboard spec say "DDR2 1200(O.C.)/1066/800/667"

_HDD=Seagate Barracuda 320GB 7200rpm SATA 3.0GB/s

_Monitor=Hanns·G HH-181APB Black 18.5

_Case=APEX TX-381-C Black Steel Micro ATX Tower Computer Case(not a very good one but it is acceptable)

_Power Supply=MY MOST CONCENRED Thermaltake TR2 W0070RUC 430W(i am thinking of going with this because the Video Card said 400W power supply recommend ) and i know it is cheap and not execllent but i already spend enough on other thing.

_DVD burner=can choose later.

Update:

So which one is better Athlon2 X3 2.9GHz or Athlon2 X4 2.6GHz?

some people said the quad core is better then 3 core and it is also more expensive.

8 Answers

Relevance
  • Cass
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

- The CPU is fine. Quad cores are better at multitasking and are the better choice compared to a triple core when considering longevity. Future applications will be based on dual and quad core cpus, not triple. The only situation in which a triple core would be better than that particular quad core is in gaming performance, and even then only when you go with the Phenom II X3, not the Athlon II X3. Phenoms have an L3 cache which the Athlon II processors lack. It will make a Phenom II X3 perform roughly 10% better in games but if what you're looking for is longevity and overall performance then just go with the Athlon II X4 620 for $20 less.

- That graphics card has 512 MB DDR3 RAM. It's not a measure of compatibility, just what's on the card. Newer cards will come with GDDR5, older ones will have DDR2, etc. It doesn't affect compatibility.

- If your motherboard says it will support DDR2 RAM why are you asking if you should choose DDR3? The PIN count is a physical trait that used to be the distinguishing feature in different RAM types. However DDR2 and DDR3 are technically the same physically. You will be able to slot a DDR3 stick into a DDR2 motherboard and vice versa, but it won't work because of other interface differences. There are a few motherboards out there that support both types but this is rare and disproportionately expensive. Go with DDR2 1066 as you will require an overclock to use 1200.

- As someone else had already said, for only a couple of bucks extra you can get a larger HDD. It's worth the investment.

- Don't skimp out on your power supply. A cheap power supply can result in system instability or even in the worse case scenario a system fry up. They also tend to produce less watts than they're rated for. This will end up costing you more in the long run. Have a look at this list before choosing a power supply. If you don't plan on overclocking your components just keep Tier 4 psus in mind. They're cheap enough for a budget system yet reliable. http://www.eggxpert.com/forums/thread/323050.aspx (hint: your power supply doesn't measure up)

- You will need an optical drive to install Windows. Doesn't have to be a problem, you can reuse one from an old pc if you have one.

- You haven't added the cost of an OS (I assume windows) to your system. Don't forget you'll need a copy. If you're looking for a free and legal solution you can always use linux until you have the cash to get Windows.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Quad core is nice if you can afford it, but higher clock speed will give better performance than more cores. A good compromise to improve performance and lower the build price slightly would be an Athlon II X3:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N8...

You won't lose anything by dropping down to 3 cores, but your performance will be better with a 2.9GHz clock speed.

The DDR3 on the video card means that it uses DDR3 memory/RAM. It doesn't really "mean" anything though, as long as it has enough RAM (and it does)

Your motherboard will not support DDR3 RAM. What you need is DDR2 800 or DDR2 1066 RAM, 4GB (2 X 2GB). Such as the following:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N8...

Right now, it's $67 after rebate, which is a steal. Note that the easiest way to cripple a system is to give it not enough RAM. 3GB is the sweet spot, 4GB is a good round number to round up to from there.

The easiest way to ruin a new build is to choose the wrong power supply. If it's thermaltake anything, it's the wrong power supply. There are so many good choices you could go with for very little money. For just one suggestion, check out a BFG GS-550 for about $45. Power supplies don't get cheaper than that unless they are truly junk quality. And that BFG is a lot better quality than any thermaltake. You will thank yourself for avoiding major headaches later. And if you took my advice about the CPU, you saved some money on that, so now you can afford a decent power supply. :)

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

They put DDR3 on the video card to tell you the speed of the memory, which is FAST.

If the motherboard says DDR2 RAM, get DDR2 ram. Get DDR 2 1066 RAM, if I am reading into what you wrote correctly, that will give you the best performance. I would say at least 2 gb, 4gb if you really want to burn. You can always upgrade/add more later.

Just match up the pin count that the MB says to the RAM you get. The faster the ram the better.

I would get a bigger power supply. I know they can get spendy, but that's one area you don't want to skimp. I would say at least 500 watts, that way you have room to grow, and you're not straining your system too much.

Looks like a good rig! I have always been a fan of ATI and AMD.

Hope it goes well for you!

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Don't forget the cost of you Win7 Pro OS. Don't go with Win 7 basic, you'll be sorry.

Try to boost you power supply up to 500W. it will last a lot longer.

I agree with the other post go min 2G memory preferably 4G and use DDR2 1066

You'll need your DVD drive to install the OS.

Reconsider your HDD. There so little cost difference in a 320G and an 500G or 750G it's hard to cheap out on the drive.

after you build it watch for your heat. Don't hesitate to go back and spend 20bucks on a couple of better case fans. Cheap cases tend to go too cheap on fans but it's an easy fix.

good luck

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • s t
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

Is that motherboard small enough to fit in a micro case?

make sure your power supply has the cables to fit the video card, like two six pin or whatever,, I would get a bigger power unit, like 700watt minimum.

I would get the 1066 or 800 ram, dont have anything to do with overclocking.

• 4 years ago

From a purely hardware perspective (the way I look at computers no matter the brand), a custom PC will beat out an iMac. As you have already come to the conclusion that you get more for your money, go for the custom PC.

• Mark N
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

Go with a Phenom2 not an Athlon2. The Athlon2 only has 2mb or cache, the Phenom2 has 8mb... You will notice a lot of performance gain from the Phenom2 series vs. the Athlon2 series... http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N8...

• 1 decade ago

dude build an i7 rig

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.