Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDiseases & ConditionsCancer · 1 decade ago

My daughter was just diagnosed with Acute Myeloid Leukemia?

How Do I cope with this, she was complaining about being sick, I feel like its my fault. She was complaining about not feeling good, then she was diagnosed. I know it's not my fault that she got this but, still. How do I cope?

Favorite Answer

You'll find your own routine. At first it's pure shock, Leukemia is the last thing from most parents minds, and its certainly the last thing you wanted to hear. If every parents first thought when their child was sick was "LEUKEMIA" the oncology departments would be in disarray.

When something like this happens, first instinct is to find someone to blame, often people blame the doctors or themselves for not spotting it sooner, usually, this couldn't be further from the truth.

Make sure you keep thinking positively, i'm not sure how old your daughter is, but i'd try not to keep things from her, kids with cancer spend a lot of time thinking about things, they end up far more mature for their age than they might have been otherwise.

I'll bet you and your family will be amazed at how much strength you'll give each other at this time, it's hard now, but keep fighting and you'll do it.

A few hours ago, 30 odd people stood in the playroom of this hospital corridor and sang, cheered and cried, because an 13 year old girl, who'd been fighting Acute Myeloid Leukemia since she was 10 years old has been declared cancer free. And it happens all the time.

Kids are tough, i didn't think my daughter was strong enough to beat this, btu she's doing it. And i bet yours will too.

Best wishes, god bless.

Source(s): My daughter has Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia, she's getting better every day.
  • Panda

It's not your fault. Your daughter needs you to be strong and not feel guilty about what has happened. Bad things happen to people, even children, all the time. You are human and you are a mom.There is no way you could have known that your daughters complaints were so serious. So forgive yourself because you have a long, long road in front of you and your daughter will need your full attention from now on . .don't hang in the past, move beyond this and focus on what needs to be done now.

How do you cope . . . you cope one day at a time . . or if that isn't possible . . one hour at a time . . or if that fails . . than moment by moment . . always focused on what is best for your child. You can do this . . I know, because I've been there.

I'm really sorry. Someone I knew was just diagnosed yesterday. And one of my students had cancer, too. Her mom wrote used caring bridge.

caringbridge.com is a wonderful site for people just like you. It's a completely free website that you go to, tell your daughter's story, and then write updates on her for people to read. It is a great outlet to let out frustrastions, thoughts, and concerns, anything. People can then read it and "sign the guestbook" Giving you messages of hope and prayers.

The main point the mom I know emphisized was that you must take all this one day at a time.

Prayers to your daughter.

Smile!

I can only imagine how you feel.

What a horrible situation.

This is the kind of thing every mother worries about.

Be strong.

This kind of Leukemia can be cured.

I will say a prayer for you, and your daughter.

*hugs*

Leukemias for the most are very treatable and often curable.

Nobody's fault.

It is treatable.

Just don't think about it. Change your mind. Trust me it works.

I hope your daughter gets well.