What's a reasonable price for lawn mower blade sharpening?

I am entering my first winter as a homeowner and know that I need to prepare my mower for the winter. As part of this I'd like to get my blade sharpened.

I've read about how to do it myself, but I am wondering how much a shop would charge for professional removal/sharpening/attachment?

Favorite Answer

Wow, I'm glad I live where I do. Depending on the type of blade you're referring to, around here a standard straight cut blade would run about $4/blade. That's if you bring it in. If you take the whole mower in and want them to remove and replace, they will probably scrape and clean the underside of the mower deck as well as sharpening the blades. Expect about a $30 - $40 bill for such a service. By the way, why are you preparing the mower for winter, you should be worrying about this around March of next spring, in preparation for summer.

Source(s): Homeowner, lawnmower, for more years than I like to think about.

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Source(s): 39 reasonable price lawn mower blade sharpening: https://biturl.im/BMrgQ
  • Cheryl

Usually in the late winter. At the end of summer I have had my fill of lawn mowers, hoes, weeds, grass seed, compost, etc. and once the grass stops actively growing and the rainy season begins (October in the Pacific Northwest), I'm done with everything outdoors with the exception of raking leaves. I use a push mower -- good exercise, no gasoline required, no pollution, don't have to have my blood pressure go off the charts trying to get the thing started after six months of idleness. The grass stays where it falls unless there is a lot of it and then it goes into the compost bin.

reasonable fee? free, $5.00, what ever you are willing to give up.

Why not do it yourself?

Remove the blade with a large Cresent wrench if you do not have a box wrench of the correct size.

Using a grinding wheel, carfully sharpen the blade.

Test to make sure that the blade is still balanced.

You can test by placing the blade on a screwdriver or a nail, let the blade rock to it stops. It should stop at a level position. It is balanced. If not, carefully remove more metal until it is balanced. YOU SHOULD NOT HAVE TO BALANCE THE BLADE UNLESS YOU REPAIRED DEEP CHUNKS OUT OF THE EDGE.

replace the blade...

saved yout a over priced repair.

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/avcuS

I was always told by the old men at the hardware store in my city that all good tools would last nearly a lifetime if they were cleaned properly after each use. So, always did that....and my children were glad to get all my gardening and other tools when I sold my house....they had all been top quality tools when I bought them, and I cleaned and oiled them after each use. So, I think you should clean & service your lawn mower at the end of the season. I liked bagging the cuttings. Would edge the lawn first...then blow all the edgings into the lawn. Then I would run the mower over the lawn....and have very little to "blow" later....as the mower picked up all the edging debris that had been blown into the lawn. I liked having the grass clippings to take to a large compost area in my back yard....where I was like an old witch brewing up my "special compost". I think leaving the clippings in the lawn leads to poor aeration of the soil....creates a thatched barrier prone to mold as it decomposes. Just my opinion.

8.00 for 1 blade........... 15.00 for 2 blades...........20.00 for 3 blades professionallycleaned, checked for cracks and straightness and sharpened and balanced with an abrasive belt sander specifically designed for sharpening lawn mower blades and balanced with a Magnamatic blade balancer. A blade sharpened and balanced professionally is better, since it is sharper, better balanced, and cheaper than a brand new blade

• renpen

A shop will be at least $50.00 per hour and usually a one hour minimum. You can buy a new blade at Wal Mart cheaper. Than you can sharpen the old one for a spare.

If it is a walk behind mower I charge $5.00 to sharpen and $3.00 to take off/put on. Riding mowers $5.00 each off the mower, and 7.50 each on the mower.