How to I attach the garage door opener to the door when the opener has to be offset from center?

I have to install my garage door opener off center by about 12" due to a beam in the way. How do I attach the opener to the door. I was thinking of running perforated angle iron from the the to closet vertical sections and connecting to that. Any other suggestions?

Favorite Answer

To offset mount the opener arm to the door section:

As you said, run perforated angle iron from the center stile to the next stile over. Use one piece as near to the top as you can, which would be just below the strut. (Make sure there is a strut on the top section, it's required when using an opener.) Run a second piece 6 to 12" below it. Attach a third piece vertically between the two, where it will line up with the opener arm. Don't waste time with the door bracket that came with the opener. Instead, attach the end of the operator arm to the vertical piece you attached. Try to keep it in line with the top roller fixtures. Too low puts too much stress on the door. Use a 5/16" by 1" bolt, but do not tighten it. Leave a little wiggle room for the arm. Use two nuts, and tighten them against each other. This will lock them on the bolt, while allowing the necessary space for the arm to move. Allow about 1/4".

Source(s): Owner- Spero Door Service, Oswego, IL http://www.SperoDoor.com

Offset Garage Door Opener

Increase the tension a little on the spring furthest from the opener.to allow for the offset from center pull

Sounds good, isn't there any suggestions in the directions ?

Source(s): Retired carpenter