Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicMusicRock and Pop · 1 decade ago

Pink Floyd fans: why do you like PF, even though they are so pretentious (plz read details of the question)?

Bacon3!

Make sure you dont end up like Syd Barrett.

Pretentious things Pink Floyd has done:

10. Stanly Kubrik: Alledgedly Stanly Kubrik originally wanted to used parts of the album Atom Heart Mother as the soundtrack to A Clockwork Orange but they refused. And they allowed Another Brick in the Wall Part II to be played in that movie about aliens starring Elijah Wood and Josh Hartnett.

9. Using Gadgets such as lasers in their live shows.

8. Basing an entire album around George Orwell's Animal Farm (Album: "Animals")

7. Momentary Lapse of Reason: This album was made in 1993 when they stopped pretending that they were still a proper band and started catering to their original audience who had all grown up into middle aged new-age music listening yuppies.

6. This Lyric: "Tell me true tell me why was Jesus crucified?/Was it for this my daddy died?"

5. Several Species of Small Furry Animals Gathered Together in a Cave and Grooving with a Pict

4. Shine on you crazy diamonds Parts I-IX: I actually kind of like Shine on You Crazy Diamonds in spite of it being a sprawling twenty minute exercise in self indulgence. What I can't forgive is their decision to split the song into nine parts. Let's face it, it's just one song.

3. Adding sounds like cash registers, helicopters, classroom children, dogs, ticking clocks etc into songs when they are just really irritating.

2. The Wall - The Movie

1. Building a wall on stage during The Wall concert tour

Favorite Answer

Erm...Because their songs sound good?

I'm no Floyd fanatic but man are you off the planet. Do you make this stuff up or just not check your facts (or the definition of pretentious)?

10. Give me proof of this? Kubrick commissioned Wendy/Walter Carlos to do the sountrack - I can't see AHM working as the soundtrack at all, after all Alex, the lead, loves Beethoven, and that fact is crucial to the story were Floyd going to do Beethoven covers?

9. So every band that uses lasers in a light show are pretentious? If that's your call fair enough, but why single out PF? Because they were the first? That would make them innovative as opposed to pretentious.

8. Animals has nothing to do with Orwell's Animal Farm. That is a ludicrous assertion, clearly you have not read the book. Four legs good, two legs bad.

7. Momentary lapse of Reason was recorded in 1987.

6. You can call it pretentious, but maybe if your father was killed in a war when you were extremely young and you had any musical talent you would exorcise those demons through your art too. Not my taste, but who cares?

5. You really have to look up 'pretentious'. The phrase that springs to mind for 'Several Species...' is 'drug-f*cked psychedelic silliness'.

4. I don't really understand your beef with this one. I can give you a ton of examples where rock bands have done the 'parts n' thing with a long piece that varies musically. Pretentious or practical?

3. You are entitled not to like it, and with the benefit of hindsight you can call it pretentious, at the time it was experimental and a tad avant garde. Personally I think Time without the clocks fading into echoed bongos would be a pale imitation.

2. Hmmm. I guess you could call it pretentious but I don't agree that you dislike something simply because it is pretentious. So I give you a Ferrari - you gonna refuse because it's 'pretentious'.

1. Bugger it, I'll give you a definition of pretentious from Meriam-Webster: making usually unjustified or excessive claims (as of value or standing) <the pretentious fraud who assumes a love of culture that is alien to him — Richard Watts> b : expressive of affected, unwarranted, or exaggerated importance, worth, or stature

It's hard to justify that definition of 'false standing' against a band that has sold as many albums as PF. You may not like their excesses but to suggest that someone can't like them because of that excludes a hell of a lot of bands - I'd argue almost all.

But I'm glad you got that off your chest.

• Don't you have something better to do? I mean, sure, Yahoo! Answers in general is a waste of time... But face it, nothing you say will change the fact that Pink Floyd is one of the best bands in the history of music, whether you like it or not. And all those "pretentious" things they did, I think really makes them stand out, and shows their creativity.

I wish I had your energy and will to unjustly hate so much. Seriously, get a life. I feel sorry for your hate filled self righteous pointless existence.

Maybe you should try giving so many examples of a band you like instead of rambling on and on with your meaningless unfounded rhetoric.

I bet you're staring at yourself in the mirror right now telling yourself how great you are.

• I like them because of the lyrics, and Waters has such a soothing voice. They immediately make me feel mellow and zone out, which I really need sometimes.

• Troll? None of those things sound particularly pretentious to me anyway. I love Pink Floyd, they're my favorite band.

15 years old, basement of friends house, LSD + The Wall = Lifetime Pink Floyd fan.

• Why do you keep asking questions like this? Nobody cares about your silly little opinions..I like Pink Floyd, and you're not going to convince me otherwise, no matter what you say.

I like their music.