Is it possible to start understanding a language by accident just by hearing it?

I started working from home about two years ago (I am a lawyer who handles research and appeals for other firms), and I usually just put Univision or Telemundo on in the background while I work, because those channels have a lot of hot chicks. I did not know how to speak Spanish. But after two years of... show more I started working from home about two years ago (I am a lawyer who handles research and appeals for other firms), and I usually just put Univision or Telemundo on in the background while I work, because those channels have a lot of hot chicks. I did not know how to speak Spanish.

But after two years of listening to these channels for 6 to 8 hours per day, five days per week, I think I can understand large portions of the Spanish language.

For example, I was watching a talk show today, and the girl started yelling at her boyfriend for using meth, and she screamed "¡¡TU 'STAS ARRIESGANDO EL PELLEJO!! ¡¡HICISTE PEDAZOS A TU VIDA!! ¡¡DÉJATE PENSAR SOLO EN TI MISMO!!" or something close to that.

And the strange thing was, I understood what all of that meant, because I had heard all those words before many times on TV.

I'm not sure when I started to comprehend words and phrases. It seems like it just sort of happened without me noticing.

Is this possible? How did this happen? What should I do now?