Chase asked in PetsOther - Pets · 1 decade ago

is it easy to raise cattle?

Favorite Answer

No. I have been raising cattle an showing cattle for 20 years, and it is heartbreaking, consuming work. It isn't just throwing out grain and hoping for the best. It is sleepless nights waiting for heifers to calve, and spending you weekends checking fence line. You have to think about land management, and vaccinations, and branding, and castrating bull calves and selling old cows (that are your pets), and record keeping, and weather patterns, and drought, and hay shortages and trailers with broken axles, and hauling water in buckets from the creek b/c your well is broken, and never taking a vacation, and buying the best livestock you can to help your breeding program, registering your calves with the breed association, pulling breech calves, tax credits, breeding cows so the calves are the right age for the livestock fairs, mastitis, flies, snakebites, parasites, etc. etc. etc. It is a business like anything else, and it can be satisfying and fulfilling, but NEVER NEVER NEVER easy.

Source(s): I'm a rancher

You should answer this question yourself by spending some time on a farm where cattle are raised. I am biased towards integrated New England farms where many things are done at the same time - for instance, we raise sheep, chickens, vegetables and turkeys - but as long as it is not a feed lot or a ranch, or factory dairy, you have a wide choice for an honest impression.

Raising farm animals is completely different from raising a pet. They have a purpose and a financial equation, as well as serious labor.

Cattle present some issues - they are big, eat a lot of food that you wouldn't have around except for them, require special housing and special care. And they do not care if it is raining - they still get hungry.

Even if they like you, they are dangerous to be around. If one steps on your foot, your foot stays stepped-on. And you cannot wear steel toed shoes because they could crush the toe and that is very serious.

Cattle are raised for a purpose - you eat them or milk them or make more of them from what you got. If you raise for milk, you are still in the meat business since the males don't give much milk :) and you must breed to keep the cows in milk.

No it is not easy to raise cattle.

It's not easy at all. I've lived on a cattle ranch all my life and I've been showing cattle for years. It's hard work, no matter what the conditions are, it's expensive, stressful, and it's a hard business to make money in unless you really know what you're doing.

There's so many things that can go wrong and it's expensive. It's a lot more than turning them in a field and just leaving them there, which is what a lot of people think it is.

If you're really interested, I'd say find a ranch around you and see if they need a hand so you can see what it's like before you bite off more than you can chew.

Source(s): Been around cattle all my life
  • 600pm

Nope.

only if your a hillbilly.