Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 1 decade ago

My dog has dry skin and dandruff. How can I cure this?

I have been giving her a multi vitamin and fish oil capsules with her meals. Is there anything else I can use to fix the dry skin?

I know its not mange - its just little flakes and she scratches in that area which I assume is itchy due to dryness.

I brush her several times a week. She also eats Buffalo Blue brand canned and dry food which is one of the higher quality foods available. I give her boiled chicken every few days to add to the food. So along with all this, a multi vitamin and fish oil - she still has dandruff.

Best Answer

Does the dry skin look scaly, crusted, itch or stink? Is there hair loss around the dry areas? Is the fur greasy feeling? If the skin looks like this, you will probably have to take her to a vet. It could be a variety of things from allergies to mange. Probably your vet would simply look at it and maybe do a skin scrape, then if anything is wrong prescribe a medicated shampoo or maybe steroids such as prednisone. If it is just dry skin, there are special shampoos for dry skin and dandruff. If she's eating a good dog food, she shouldn't need a multi vitamin. If she's on a homemade diet, multi vitamins are a good idea just in case she's not getting good nutrition and that's causing problems. There are dog lotions and sunscreens, but I don't know much about them. If none of these things work, ask your vet.

Source(s): I work at a vet clinic

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Source(s): dog dry skin dandruff cure this: https://tr.im/T6Q3K

Yes, you can switch her to a new dog food. Try something with a single protein source, with no grains such as wheat and corn, and no soy. The best way to go is to switch her to a full organic diet, which should solve her problem pretty quickly, since it won't have all of the chemicals and allergens of a regular dog food brand. I have had great luck with Wellness and Natural Balance. Also, try brushing her daily to get the oils moving in her skin. Good luck!

Change your dogs diet to a grain free food. www.dogfoodanalysis.com is a great website to learn about the grade of your dogs food.

You can also buy a dandruff shampoo specifically made for pets

Source(s): www.dogfoodanalysis.com

I'm going to get TDs for this but my pit had some serious skin problems for a while. Now his coat is shiny and his skin healthy. What i do is pour about 2 table spoons of bacon grease on his food twice a week.

Um that happened to my dog before. 100% Straight Up. Could be your dogs food that makes her that way. My dog had this because of the brand of food she was eating. Brushing her only irritated her skin! And I would have to give her a bath. I changed her food and I bought her a Specific Brand of Roti Shampoo. She is a Roti, Shepherd Mix.

Feed a high quality food with few to no grains. Also make sure she gets some good quality canned food at least once a day. An all canned diet is best but not always affordable.

Brush the coat and that should stimulate the natural oils.

cod liver oil