What is the origin of this super-trendy term "shout out" that has suddenly come into vogue recently?

You constantly hear, everywhere you go, someone saying that they're going to give some one a "shout out." It's especially prevalent in the African-American and Chicano community,among the more down to earth working class people (I can't picture anyone in Beacon Hill or Park Avenue using... show more You constantly hear, everywhere you go, someone saying that they're going to give some one a "shout out." It's especially prevalent in the African-American and Chicano community,among the more down to earth working class people (I can't picture anyone in Beacon Hill or Park Avenue using the term!). but lately everyone has started to say it. What are the exact cultural origins of this term, and why does everyone think it's so "hip" to say it?