who were some famous people BORN in Kansas?PLZ HELP ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!?

I need help. this project is due like in 1 1/2 weeks from now and i can't find it. this project was assigned by my history class , so i need like history people

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Notable residents

Main article: List of people from Kansas

Amelia Earhart (aviation pioneer), Carrie Nation (temperance activist), former President Dwight D. Eisenhower, former Vice President Charles Curtis, and former presidential candidates Bob Dole and Alf Landon called Kansas their home. NASA astronauts Ronald Evans, Joe Engle, and Steve Hawley also lived in Kansas.

Kansas was home to industrial and intellectual pioneers Walter Chrysler of automotive fame, Clyde Cessna and Lloyd Stearman (aviation pioneers), Jack Kilby (microchip inventor, The Nobel Prize Winner in Physics 2000), George Washington Carver (educator and scientist), Earl W. Sutherland, Jr. (The Nobel Prize Winner in Physiology or Medicine 1971), and Vernon L. Smith (The Nobel Prize Winner in Economics 2002). Also from Kansas are General Richard Myers (Chairman, Joint Chiefs of Staff, 2001-05) and Robert Gates (United States Secretary of Defense December 2006 - Present). In addition, Kansas is the home of "Top Cop" Vern Miller who raided an Amtrak train on July 20, 1972, and confiscated all the liquor on board. He charged Amtrak with selling liquor-by-the-drink, illegal in Kansas at that time and the case was eventually declared, "al certiore," validating both the lower court's conviction and the flamboyant Miller's stance that, "If you don't like a law, get it changed...don't break it."[38]

Kansas was also home to Danny Carey (musician), Del Close (comdedian/actor), Inger Stevens (actress), Vivian Vance (actress), Samuel Ramey (opera singer), Louise Brooks (actress), Annette Bening (actress), Bill Kurtis (Journalist), Jack Cafferty (Journalist), John Brown (abolitionist), Langston Hughes (poet), Gordon Parks (photographer, movie director, musician, author), Fatty Arbuckle (actor), William Inge (writer), Dennis Hopper (actor), Kelli McCarty (actress and Miss USA 91), Buster Keaton (actor), Coleman Hawkins (Jazz musician), Martina McBride (Country Singer), William Stafford (poet), Joe Walsh (Musician), Chely Wright (Country Musician), Melissa Etheridge (musician), Kirstie Alley (actress), Paul Rudd (actor), Sarah Lancaster (actress), Charlie Parker (Jazz musician), Mike Jerrick (network journalist), Steve Doocy (network journalist, author), Campbell Brown (network journalist), Jeff Probst (Survivor host), Melissa McDermott (Journalist), Phil McGraw (psychologist), and William Allen White (editor). And members of the progressive rock band Kansas: Dave Hope (bass), Phil Ehart (drums, percussion) and Kerry Livgren (guitars, keyboards, synthesizers) formed the group named Kansas in 1970 in their hometown of Topeka, along with vocalist Lynn Meredith from Manhattan, Kansas.

Famous athletes from Kansas include Clint Bowyer, Terence Newman, Braden Looper, Johnny Damon, Kyle Farnsworth, Wes Santee, Joe Carter, Wilt Chamberlain, George Brett, Barry Sanders, Gale Sayers, Darren Sproles, John H. Outland, Steve Fritz, Billy Mills, Jim Ryun, Walter Johnson, Jackie Stiles, Scott Fulhage, Caroline Bruce, John Riggins, Jim Everett, Maurice Greene, Kendra Wecker, and Lynette Woodard. Kansas was also home to coaches James Naismith, Larry Brown, Phog Allen, Dean Smith, Adolph Rupp, Ralph Miller, Gene Keady, Lon Kruger, John Calipari, Roy Williams, Glen Mason, Tex Winter, Dana Altman, Mark Turgeon, Bill Self, Bill Snyder, and Eddie Sutton.

Famous fictional residents include: "Marshal Matt Dillon," from the TV show Gunsmoke, "Mary Ann Summers," of Gilligan's Island, "Dennis Mitchell," of Dennis the Menace, "Dean" and "Sam Winchester," from the TV show Supernatural, "Clark Kent"/Superman, "Liz Sherman," from the "Hellboy" comic book series, "Lt. Col. Cameron Mitchell," of Stargate SG-1, "Walter" and "India Bridge," from, Mr. and Mrs. Bridge, "Jonas Nightengale," from, Leap of Faith, "Bailey," from The Suite Life on Deck, "Sam" from Rocket Power and "Dorothy Gale," from The Wizard of Oz.

• 3 years ago

Famous People Born In Kansas

• 1 decade ago

Famous Kansans

Roscoe Fatty Arbuckle actor, Smith Center

Clarence D. Batchelor political cartoonist, Osage City

Gwendolyn Brooks poet, Topeka

Walter P. Chrysler auto manufacturer, Wamego

Clark M. Clifford secretary of defense, Fort Scott

John Steuart Curry painter, Dunavant

Bob Dole politician, Russell

Amelia Earhart aviator, Atchison

Milton S. Eisenhower educator, Abilene

Carl A. Hatch politician, Kirwin

Dennis Hopper actor, Dodge City

William Inge playwright, Independence

Walter Johnson baseball pitcher, Humboldt

Buster Keaton comedian, Piqua

Emmett Kelly clown, Sedan

Stan Kenton jazz musician, Wichita

Harold Lloyd actor, Burchard

Edgar Lee Masters poet, Garnett

Hattie McDaniel actress, Wichita

William C. Menninger psychiatrist, Topeka

Gordon Parks film director, Fort Scott

Zasu Pitts actress, Parsons

Charles Buddy Rogers actor, Olathe

Damon Runyon journalist, Manhattan

Barry Sanders football player, Wichita

Eugene W. Smith photojournalist, Wichita

William E. Stafford poet, Hutchinson

John Cameron Swayze news commentator, Atchison

Vivan Vance actress, Cherryvale

William Allen White journalist, Emporia

Charles E. Whittaker jurist, Troy

• Gail
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

Albert Einstein Billy Crystal Quincy Jones Kirby Puckett

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Nobody famous comes from the Midwest, that's crazy talk

I believe Dennis Hopper, a very famous actor is from Kansas.

More history-related, I also think Amelia Earhart is as well.

• 1 decade ago

I have found three people hope this helps

Gorge Washington Carver

Gwendolyn Brooks

• 1 decade ago
    Source(s): wikipedia
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.