Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthOther - Health · 1 decade ago

Do people realize that taking the H1N1 vaccine may risk their potential child(ren) becoming autistic?

It turns out, the new H1N1 vaccine (the one that the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and even President Obama have been pushing so strongly) contains an ingredient that may have some parents worrying. Thimerosal is a mercury-based preservative that has been phased out of childhood immunizations since 2001 due to concerns that the preservative MAY be linked to autism. But thimerosal (which is about half-mercury) will be found in most vials of the H1N1 vaccine. However, it may be possible to find doses that are thimerosal-free if you ask for single-dose shots. According to the CDC, "Single-dose syringes will be thimerosal-free, which will address concerns about this additive, especially regarding pediatric and pregnant vaccine recipients (inhaler sprayer vaccine products also will be thimerosal-free)."

The sheer amount of news stories, studies, interviews and papers released on the potential link between childhood vaccines and autism is nothing short of mind-numbing -- as is the amount of finger-pointing, contradictions and paranoia that exists on both sides of the debate. For every study that you find that either proves or disproves the connection between vaccines and autism, you will find a laundry list of concerns regarding the way the studies were set up and who funded them.

Complicating the issue further is the possibility that the link between autism and vaccines (if there is one) may not be clear cut. It's entirely possible that vaccines may trigger autism in children who are "genetically susceptible" to the disease. It's also possible that it is not any one vaccine (or vaccine component) that can be linked to autism -- but rather the fact that so many vaccines are given in so short a time -- that may cause trigger the onset of autism.

In other words, regardless of your stance on the vaccine/autism issue, there is no shortage of information to support and/or refute your claim. I'm not a doctor, nor do I pretend to be one online. But I do think that parents need to learn as much as they can about these issues in order to make the best decisions for their kids. With that said, here are some links that offer more details about vaccines and autism.

http://www.physorg.com/news172252051.html

Favorite Answer

I haven't had the vaccine because of the thimerosal. I would rather risk getting swine flu (again) than put anything with mercury into my body. I don't like mercury much, it's too dangerous, and the body can't get rid of it once it's in there.

But as for the link between vaccines and Autism, it still is not entirely clear whether vaccines can cause Autism in children. I actually have an Autism spectrum disorder (Asperger Syndrome) and don't plan to have ever children so it couldn't affect me.

But most people DO want children and I know that having an Autism spectrum disorder makes life more difficult for parents, not too much more difficult for HFA or Asperger Syndrome, but there is a difference.