Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

questions for a mormon?

Mormons just came to my house and I asked them if they could come back because we were having a family gathering and I agreed to talk to them tomorrow around noon. So what are some questions I could ask them, pertaining to their religion.

They kept saying the answers to my questions was to believe in God and you will get your answer? All faith to me?

Questions Im planning to ask.

What/Who is god.

Why does the 1830th edition of the book of mormon contain over 4000 changes?

Since some of the LDS prophet contradict the old ones how do you know which one is right.

Why did Joeseph Smith lie about building a temple in Missouri in his generation.

Why does the LDS church abandon the practice of polygamy when their founder encouraged it.

14 Answers

Relevance
  • Favorite Answer

Here is some information that you need to know.

The fact is that Joseph Smith was a con man who, before he brought out the Book of Mormon, pretended to be a seer who could find treasures hidden in the ground. Farmers and other gullible people paid him money to find the treasures. He had a peepstone that he used like a crystal ball to locate the supposed treasures and direct the suckers where to dig. His excuse for not finding the treasures was that they were guarded by spirits who moved the treasure through the ground to keep the suckers from getting it.

He was finally tripped up when the relatives of one of his suckers had him arrested as a "juggler," which at that time was the term used to mean "con man." He was brought before a justice of the peace in a preliminary hearing, or examination, to determine if he should be brought to trial. The judge ascertained that there was enough evidence to try him, but he let Smith know that Smith could take "leg bail" and get out of town, but that he was not to return. This took place in Bainbridge, N.Y., in 1826, and the name of the judge was Albert Neely. Several documents relating to the examination have been found, including the judge's bill for the examination. (The initial assumption about the finding about the court appearance was that it was an actual trial and the Mormons made issues about some discrepancies that violated trial procedures. But those procedures and the judge's bill make it clear that it was actually an "examination" and not an actual trial. Smith was labeled a "glass looker" in the bill.) The evidence against Smith was sufficient that, if Smith had not taken "leg bail" and left town, he would certainly have been judged guilty in the resultant trial.

http://www.irr.org/mit/neely.html

Smith then went on and fabricated the Book of Mormon as another confidence scheme. He got his idea for the book from Ethan Smith's View of the Hebrews, or The Tribes of Israel in America, which was published in Poultney, Vt., when Oliver Cowdery, who became one of Smith's scribes, lived there.

Though he supposedly used a pair of phony spectacles to "translate" the plates for the Book of Mormon, his friends and relatives said he used his seer stone to do so. It was the same stone he used in his former money digging confidence scheme.

Continuing his calling as a con man, when he first started his church he required his converts to turn over all of their property to him. But that caused some problems, so he instituted tithing.

The gold plates never physically existed according to Martin Harris, one of the witnesses and the financial backer for the publication of the Book of Mormon. The printer of the book asked Harris if he saw the plates. Harris replied, "No, I saw them with a spiritual eye."

Stephen Burnett, an early Mormon convert, lost his faith when he heard Harris say something similar. Burnett said "I came to hear Harris state in public that he never saw the plates with his natural eye only in vision or imagination, neither Oliver nor David & also that the eight witnesses never saw them & hesitated to sign that instrument for that reason, but were persuaded to do it."

In an interview with Harris, Anthony Metcalf reported that Harris said, "I never saw the golden plates, only in a visionary or entranced state."

Details about the above information, particularly about the use of View of the Hebrews as the source for the Book of Mormon, can be found in Joseph Smith and the Origins of the Book of Mormon, by David Persuitte

On top of that, there has not been found one single piece of archaeological evidence to convincingly support the story of ancient America found in the Book of Mormon. In fact, in the 1950s, the LDS church financed "the largest and most ambitious archaeological project ever funded by a religious institution" in an attempt to uncover evidence for the Book of Mormon. It was successful in that it uncovered an enormous amount of archaeological information about ancient America, but as far as providing any evidence for the Book of Mormon, it was a dismal failure. That has not been changed by any subsequent archaeological findings.

That research project is described in Quest for the Gold Plates, by Stan Larson.

In addition, in his book, Losing a Lost Tribe: Native Americans, DNA, and the Mormon Church, Simon G. Southerton shows that the American natives show no evidence of Israelite descent, which contradicts what the Book of Mormon says.

One other thing. Joseph Smith had an eye for women, so he used his position to institute plural marriage and he took over 50 wives, some of them the wives of other men.

Note: When I posted this response a few weeks ago, the Mormon censors had it deleted, so read it while you can.

• 1 decade ago

You're not gonna get anywhere asking the missionaries because they aren't apologists. They teach what we believe, the basics.

But, I can try to answer them for you.

1. God is our Heavenly Father.

2. Have you ever seen a copy of the 1830 edition? The whole thing was put together rather quickly, therefore, many grammatical errors, and typos were spotted, and the whole thing had not yet been separated into books and chapters and verses. Also, some verses were found to be inconsistent with the rest of the book, so they were corrected. And some words were changed to clarify the meaning of the verse.

3. No prophets ever contradicted each other.

4. Joseph Smith didn't lie about anything. Besides, the wording of the one verse is tricky, it could be that he was talking about the Kirtland temple, not a temple in Independence.

5. God excused the church from practicing plural marriage, because it had been made illegal and the church was in danger of being obliterated because of it.

• 1 decade ago

Missionaries are sharing the message of Jesus Christ. They are not there to answer all the anti questions. So while the first one is a GREAT question to ask them, the others are not.

For those you can go to http://www.fairlds.org/

CORRECTIONS to the Book of Mormon:

http://en.fairmormon.org/Book_of_Mormon/Textual_ch...

As far as Prophets contradicting each other, I have not heard a good example of this one, but here is a great article

http://www.fairlds.org/Bible/Nature_of_Prophets_an...

Joseph's "lie"

"Another prophecy to be fulfilled in "this generation" is the building of a temple in Jackson County, Missouri (D&C 84:3-5). This passage has been highly criticized because the temple has yet to be built. But the words are the same as those used by Jesus nearly 2,000 years ago concerning events that have not yet occurred. The double standard of the critics allows them to accept biblical statements without question, while denouncing Joseph Smith as a false prophet."

http://www.fairlds.org/Bible/Nature_of_Prophets_an...

polygamy

http://en.fairmormon.org/Joseph_Smith/Polygamy

Source(s): "Galactic Officer of the Day" needs to visit www.fairlds.org too and hear the other side of the story, or what the anti's don't want you to know :-0 search that DNA story.
  • Mark
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

I am not a Mormon. I am one of Jehovah's witnesses and have had many discussions with Mormon's.

I do not understand why you would ask them those questions, for it would be more to argue rather than to examine. I always point to the bible when I have discussions with Mormon's or anyone else. The bible says"make sure of all things". Everything you say should be backed up scriptually. They do not practice polygamy anymore ,so I would not find that relevant. Some first century christians thought you had to be circumcised to be a Christian(for, the first christians were Jews). They resolved this problem

and clarified that they did not have to be circumcised. So, it even took the 1st Century christians time to learn the teaching of Jesus.Even now, we will never fully understand the bible.We have learned much through history and archeology which have helped to clarify many things. But, we will never understand 100% of the scriptures. I would not invite them back to argue, but, to examine the scriptures to "make sure of all things".....Mark

• Ender
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

Do you want to really know if Jesus Christ endorses one church?

Do you really want to know if God continues to call prophets today?

Do you really want to know if the Book of Mormon is inspired scripture of God?

If you do (which I hope you do) you should ask them questions pertaining to these things and how you can find out for yourself if they are actually true or not.

Now if you're not especially interested in finding out truth and would prefer to play with them, you can ask them:

-if you can see their horns

-how many wives they have (the answer will be 0)

-how many moms they have (the answer will be 1)

-how many wives their dad has (the answer will be 0 or 1)

As for your questions:

the first is actually a good one. You should ask them about the nature of God.

The "4000 changes" that you're talking about are things like capitalization, punctuation, adding chapter numbers, verse numbers, chapter summaries. There have been a handful of real changes, but the number is like 4 or 5, not 4000. The text of the book is nearly identical to the text in 1830. I've read parts of a Book of Mormon that was from the very first printing. It was exactly the same book.

Biblical prophets also contradict each other. Do you see Christians today slaughtering animals or slapping blood on their door posts? Not every word that leaves a prophet's mouth is "unchanging eternal doctrine". The living prophet gives us council for our time and for our situation. While they may teach truths and teach things as they understand them, the most important prophet for us is the one that is living today. Anciently Jews were condemned and missed their Messiah because they were trying to follow Moses instead of their Messiah. Today there are many Christians who seek to follow dead prophets instead of living ones.

The prophecy you're referring to was a conditional one. The conditions were not met and therefore the prophecy was not fulfilled. There are a number of similar examples in the Bible. PM me if you want me to send them to you.

Our 9th article of faith states: We believe all that God has revealed, all that He does now reveal, and we believe that He will yet reveal many great and important things pertaining to the Kingdom of God.

The more important question is: Was Joseph Smith a prophet of God when he asked some of the members to practice polygamy and was it a true prophet of God who repealed it? If it was, then it doesn't matter the reason. We can seek to understand it (as I have) but ultimately what matters is whether or not it was God's will, NOT our ability to understand God's will. Perhaps it was to test their faith. Perhaps it was to test yours and mine. Perhaps it was to create an early population boom. Perhaps it was to take care of the women as they crossed the plains and established themselves in the west. However, if it was the Lord's will, it doesn't really matter "why", now does it.

Focus on how you can understand for yourself if their message is true or not. That is what is important. Are they teaching fundamental truths or are they teaching fiction. Find out, from God, for yourself.

• 1 decade ago

Well...just remember that they are human and so are you, so be patient and try to make the most of the situation. Take advantage of the opportunity to learn and understand and have a civil conversation. At least in that way you can come away from the discussion having gained some understanding of people who espouse beliefs entirely different from your own.

In the end, you are going into this with a resolved belief that there is no God, and they are coming into this discussion with a belief there is a God and that He does speak to men. Realizing this you will see that both you and the missionaries are on the same ground...that is believing some idea or thing to be true.

Whatever you say will not likely change that, so there is no use (as far as I can tell from your question) to try to get them to doubt their faith.

• 1 decade ago

GO HERE!

http://www.jefflindsay.com/BMEvidences.shtml

And show it to the missionaries if you like.

It's rather interesting for all of those who deny the Book of Mormon.

Oh, and to "Anointed",

The Mormon church does not have a pentagram on it.

It is a hexagram, meaning it has six points, not five.

And it is something commonly used in Christianity.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

sarcastic answer to your questions

there God is still trying to evolve he is not fully matured yet

see joseph was so illiterat...oops spelling errors.

the one that is the current prophet...we listen to him until the next one comes along

the missouri temple has a pentagram on it shhhhhshshshhs.

they were tired of being locked up in prison and wanted to be a state.

• 1 decade ago

Ask them to explain this passage from the Book of Mormon.

And he had caused the CURSING to come upon them yea, even a sore CURSING because of their iniquity For behold, they had hardened their hearts against him, that they had become like unto a flint: wherefore as they were white, and exceedingly fair and delightsome, that they might not be enticing unto my people the Lord God did cause a SKIN of BLACKNESS to come upon them (2 Nephi 5 :21)

Pray for them.

Yours in Christ

Mike64

• 1 decade ago

Ask then which religious group was cursed by Jospeh Smith.

( The answer is found in D&C 132. )

Ask them if they have read D&C 132.

They probably have not.

Then tell them to come back only after they have figured out which religious group was it that Joseph Smith cursed.

Source(s): 43+ years following a Jewish Carpenter & studying His Book!
  • 1 decade ago

Ask the about the difference between having faith in something that is unknowable, and having 'faith' in something that is patently disproven by science and reality. The first can be honorable, but the latter is just magical thinking and self hypnosis.

Faith in the disproven is what it takes to believe in the Book of Mormon.

Ask them for one single reference to an article published in a reputable peer-reviewed science or scholarly journal that supports the story of the Book of Mormon. Just one.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.