HH asked in PetsDogs · 1 decade ago

What is the difference between a Siberian Husky and Alaskan Husky?

Just was wondering if there even such thing as an Alaskan Husky if there is what is the difference?

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

The Alaskan husky is a specially bred mutt for racing purposes, a working dog. The Siberian husky is also a working dog, but is AKC recognized. They aren't as fast as as the alaskan so run non-competitively in major races. The sibe can survive an arctic winter better than an alaskan. Sibes have better feet, and need less food. Alaskans are many times bred with hounds to gain speed. Siberian huskies look a certain way, and it doesn't matter what an alaskan looks like as long as it can pull ;)

• Anonymous
    4 years ago

Siberian Huskies are a recognized breed. They originate in Siberia and perform many of the same functions as the Alaskan Huskies, such as being a sled dog and helping with the hunt. Alaskan Huskies are more of a type than a breed. They do not have a recognized registry and have no defined confirmation necessities to be recognized as an Alaskan Husky. While Alaskan Huskies have a lot of similarities to the Siberian Husky, they are not necessarily the same breed. An Alaskan Husky is defined by their abilities as a sled dog. Basically the Siberian Husky is a breed while the Alaskan husky is a mutt that is great at pulling sleds.

• 1 decade ago

there is a such thing as an alaskan husky. it's known in the mushing/dog sledding world. it's a hybrid dog bred for it's speed and qualitites as a sled dog. if you watch the iditarod, many of those dogs are not siberian huskies or alaskan malamutes like most people think of when you think of sled dogs. while it the akc may not recognize it as a breed it most certainly is recognized in the racing community. i own a husky and would like to own a small team one day, however, i do like the sibes better.

• 1 decade ago

The Alaskan husky isn't an actual breed it's a specially bred mutt used for working.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

the only difference i can assume is that the siberian husky originated in siberia, and the alaskan husky is from alaska.

technically, alaskan huskies don't really exist though. the reason someone may say it is an alaskan husky is because it has been mixed with other alaskan breeds.

(:

• Gina
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

Not Alaskan Husky its an Alaskan Malamute.

• 1 decade ago

Nope. No such thing as an Alaskan husky. So I guess that means they're the same thing.

• 1 decade ago

Got the the AKC website and search breeds alphabetically. It lists all breeds of dogs.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.