promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsMartial Arts · 1 decade ago

Why is the UFC considered the best venue?

MOST of The fighters who get into the UFC have to get on through TUF, which chooses fighters based not solely on talent, yet on personality and marketability. So is the UFC watering down its ranks with all these fighters?

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

"MOST of The fighters who get into the UFC have to get on through TUF"

This is not true. Most of the fighters in the UFC have never participated in the show, although a few who have, have become notable talents (Keith Jardine, Marcus Davis, Melvin Guillard, etc). Even some that have been on the program had already fought once or more in the UFC, so TUF isn't a prerequisite to get into the UFC. Machida, Anderson, Wanderlei, Strouve, the Nogueira bros, Mir, Couture, Liddell, Penn, Edgar, Sherk, GSP, Hughes, T. Griffin, Akiyama, Dong Hyun Kim, Spencer Fisher, Lesnar, Carwin, Gonzaga, Almeida, Fitch, Velasquez, Kongo, Houston Alexander, Jon Jones, Bocek, Stann, Hallman, Ortiz, Uno, Alvez, Paulo Thiago, Vera, Rosholt, Dennis Siver, Guida, Thiago Silva, Phil Baroni, Marqurdt, Dan Hardy, Terry Etim, Dos Santos, Coleman, and many, many more have never had to compete on TUF.

However, fairly or not, the guys from the show tend to get most of the limelight.

I think that they sucked the talent out of the free agents by season five, but some guys like Joe Stevenson, Diego Sanchez, and Michael Bisping would probably have ended up in the UFC eventually, anyway.

As well, there are plenty of guys who were on the show who have been cut, so it's not like once you're on TUF, you're indespensible.

The UFC is considered the #1 MMA organization in the world in large part because they have the best talent. Look at the Top Ten lists and check out how many fighters are under UFC contract. Going by the latest Sherdog rankings, they have six of the top ten heavyweights, nine of the top ten light heavyweights, six (maybe seven, depending on where Hendo signs) of the top ten middleweights, all the top welterweights, and half of the top lightweights. No other organization can boast that many top ten fighters in their rankings. Plus, they've got great up-and-comers, and the undisputed kings of three or four weight classes. The UFC is the most talent-rich MMA organization in the world. The fact that they've got the most money means they can hire just about all of the best fighters.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

Because it has the best fighters not all fighters come though the TUF like you seem to be thinking.

Beleieve it or not TUF is there to really just drum up new fans and put on a good tv show. The best fighters are not on it, there are interviews of MMA fighters really fighters who try out for the TUF every year and are turned away not because they bad, it has to do with the fact they would not make good tv, because the real fighters would just, sleep, train, and train more. you would get boring tv as they would just be focused on winning the show not pranking each other or being cry babies you see every year]

Here is a piece of the interview

“I’m sure none of them will get on, and we’ll see a bunch of guys that are terrible but think they’re the best fighters in the world,” he laughed. “The truth is, if you’re a really good fighter it’s because you train hard, you don’t drink, and you’re doing the right things, which makes for boring TV. That’s why they haven’t had a second season of the veterans. All the veterans sit around and say, ‘oh man, we can’t drink, we’ve got to get up at seven in the morning and run.’”

• 1 decade ago

True, but only to a certain extent. The UFC understands that they not only need to get the best fighters, but they also need to sell tickets. They already have most of the best fighters signed. So TUF is their outlet to build interest (marketing) and also possibly get a couple of future contenders in the process. I agree that TUF is NOT putting the BEST fighters possible. Kimbo isn't a future champ. However, they don't need to because they can always sign them like they did with Machida, Silva, etc. Dana White has already expressed interest in signing Mousasi. Most good fighters seek out coming to the UFC anyway.

• 1 decade ago

In economics its called "First Mover Advantage." The UFC brought MMA to America. Lately its been watered down because all of their stars have been suffering injuries. So we are forced to watch lame fight cards. I dont agree with the whole marketability thing. If fighters are knoking people out and winning then people want to watch. THe main reason Fedor and Brett Rogers was a good match for Strikeforce was because Rogers was undefeated. Brock and Carwin will be a big sale because Brock is champ and no one has made it throught the first round with Carwin. Fight records sell more tickets than anything. The only TUF winner Im a fan of is Rashard Evans (even though I think Rampage will knock him out!).

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that I feel the UFC is in deed watering down it;s ranks as you put it. I mean it's changed a lot since it first started and seem to be real money orientated. Now don't get me wrong, I still enjoy watching it but will think twice about it should the UFC make a complete switch to mirror the WWE.

• tutino
    Lv 4
    3 years ago

It grew to become into and continues to be an advertising venue for the Gracie kin. It has had the two constructive and detrimental impression. however the Gracies rode all of it a thank you to the financial employer now for some years. A Jacob: do not forget that judo is watered down jujutsu. Made plenty extra straight forward. BJJ is judo downsized, which in basic terms makes those claiming it to be the ultimate martial artwork ever look stupid. regardless of each and every thing it is a game type regardless of each and every thing, not even a martial artwork in maximum places the place it is "taught" as quickly because it grew to become universal, dojo popped up everywhere to instruct it. 10000 "masters" without delay. very stable!

• Ryan
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

Can't say I agree with you--Big Country won that tournament last night fair and square. If there are better guys sitting at home not getting a shot, I'd be awfully surprised.

• jerry
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

no they fight just like boxing

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.