Bruised credit home loan?

My husband and I want desperately to purchase our first home. We've been living in the same rental home for the last 3.5 years, with a perfect rental history, and are just plain tired of renting. The problem isn't his credit score, which after a year and a half of work on both our parts, is now VERY good,... show more My husband and I want desperately to purchase our first home. We've been living in the same rental home for the last 3.5 years, with a perfect rental history, and are just plain tired of renting. The problem isn't his credit score, which after a year and a half of work on both our parts, is now VERY good, it's mine. My score isn't AWFUL, it's around 580, mostly an issue of not enough credit, since I don't use credit cards, and have only recently co-financed a small amount of a car purchase, and we just can't seem to find a way to get a mortgage loan. Seems like every direction we've been pointed in leads us to someone who is just trying to get money from us. I have no credit card debt on my report, only med. bills, and one judgement, which I have been paying on for a while now, and can easily get a letter of proof to that effect. We both have stable jobs that we've been at for at least a year each, and decent income level. We just need a little bit of a break, and someone to recognize that we're making the right steps to improve my credit, and aren't as big a risk as I guess we look like on paper. Very frustrated, and not at all sure what direction to even go in. Should I get a credit card? I really don't want/need one, but perhaps it would help the credit issue some. Suggestions?? Help??!
4 answers 4