What is (Seek Time) in a Hard Disk?

HI,

recently I have read an essay about Hard Disks and how to choose one suitable for the computer I would buy.

In this essay I found a part of (Seek Time) Actually I didn't understand it well

What is the (Seek Time)?

And I Found on one of the sites saying that it will be better to be less than 9 ms

is that true?

Favorite Answer

The seek time of a hard disk measures the amount of time required for the read/write heads to move between tracks over the surfaces of the platters. Seek time is one of the most commonly discussed metrics for hard disks, and it is one of the most important positioning performance specifications. However, using this number to compare drives can be somewhat fraught with danger.

Switching between tracks requires the head actuator to move the head arms physically, which being a mechanical process, takes a specific amount of time. The amount of time required to switch between two tracks depends on the distance between the tracks. However, there is a certain amount of "overhead" involved in track switching, so the relationship is not linear. It does not take double the time to switch from track 1 to track 3 that it does to switch from track 1 to track 2, much as a trip to the drug store 2 miles away does not take double the time of a trip to the grocery store 1 mile away, when you include the overhead of getting into the car, starting it, etc.

Seek time is normally expressed in milliseconds (commonly abbreviated "msec" or "ms"), with average seek times for most modern drives today in a rather tight range of 8 to 10 ms. Of course, in the modern PC, a millisecond is an enormous amount of time: your system memory has speed measured in nanoseconds, for example (one million times smaller). A 1 GHz processor can (theoretically) execute over one million instructions in a millisecond! Obviously, even small reductions in seek times can result in improvements in overall system performance, because the rest of the system is often sitting and waiting for the hard disk during this time. It is for this reason that seek time is usually considered one of the most important hard disk performance specifications. Some consider it the most important.

RE:

What is (Seek Time) in a Hard Disk?

HI,

What is the (Seek Time)?

And I Found on one of the sites saying that it will be better to be less...

• Cass

The amount of time that a disk drive's head takes to move to a specific location on a disk. So basically the time it takes to find a specific piece of data. It averages at 8.9 ms these days for a mid priced hard drive.

Seek Time

seek time hard disk