Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkVegetarian & Vegan · 1 decade ago

Vegan potluck dish for non-vegetarians?

I need a recipe or an idea for a potluck. I want it to be vegan, or at least without cheese because I will be eating it too. I need something that feeds about 10 people - small servings though because there will be 9 other dishes. What is something that will impress non-vegetarians? Also, it cannot contain any fake meat or tofu, my friends are scared of those ingredients because it is just so foreign to them, haha.

Favorite Answer

Chili. Just use more beans instead of meat. I make vegan chili (containing no tofu or fake meat) for my meat eating friends and they all adore it....they never save me any in fact....)

• Let's see, for this time of year (assuming you're not in Australia or something), chili is always a crowd pleaser (I add corn & carrots, sometimes zucchini to mine to make it a bit more interesting & tasty), maybe roasted root vegetables with some seasoning, some kind of "cream" soup (spicy carrot/parsnip, pumpkin soup with dumplings, cream of broccoli or cauliflower...), curry or ratatouille with rice on the side, stuffed peppers, cold pasta with pesto, etc. Or a dessert is always good.

There's a couple recipes I'm thinking of from Fresh From The Vegetarian Slow Cooker that I've used as a dish to pass for picky omnis before. Most of the recipes in that book are vegan or easily veganized. Maybe you can get your hands on a copy of that before your gathering (check your local library if you don't want to or can't buy it).

• Eolra

How about a delicious Asian Noodle Salad? You can use soba or rice noodles, and lots of veggies (like shredded carrots, bok choy, chinese cabbage, snowpeas, thinly sliced red peppers etc) , with a nice asian-y ginger-y dressing, and maybe some of those fried chow-mien noodles thrown in for crunch. YUM!

• Stacie

We favor vegetables but like fruits that we use in salad such as tomatoes and avocados.

You could always bring the classic raw veggies and dip (I would suggest hummus).

http://www.choosingraw.com/raw-foods-tutorial-the-...

That is a link to a blog called "Choosing Raw". There are a lot of raw vegan appetizers on that post!

Make them a tasty vegan chili

• Liz

Indian or middle eastern foods come to mind. Vegetable curry is good, potato samosas, hummus, falafals, baba ganoush etc.

-throw together a really simple veggie curry with beans, tomato, spices...whatever you want

-chickpea salads

-fruit salad

-stuffed mushrooms, peppers (without beef)

-veggies (cucumber, carrot, bell pepper) with guac

make a vegetarian chili from scratch... the protein will be in the kidney beans and chickpeas

POtato and pea curry with loads of rice and stuffed garlic naan

Cauliflour, pea , carrot and cabbage samosas with coconut chuntey and some cashew rice.

cardamom rice with pistachios, mushrooms and some huge slabs or roasted pumpkin with caramel coating.

Stuffed portobellos with garlic soft tofu ( just tell yourself and them it's like garlic soft cheese) pine nuts, walnuts and green tomatoes- with crispy breadcrumb coating.

Stir fried noodles, peanuts and ginger sesame gluten.

( You can buy gluten in chunks in any asian market, and no, it is not "fake" meat, it is just gluten, it's up to them if they want to call it fake meat.)

Crispy fried spring rolls with bean sprouts, peanuts, cashews, peppers and bok choi, and peanut sauce.

Gluten sate with peanut soysauce, and roasted vegetable kebabs.

Sizzling eggplant and chili noodles with enoki and cashews.

Sticky rice sushi- with avocado, quorn ( NOT a fake meat, just "quorn), peppers nori, sesame seeds, soy sauce wasabi etc.

Wild rice, asparagus, and buttered leek pilaf , with roasted fava beans and pinen nuts ( butter them and roast in oven til they are crispy)

Sweet and sour quorn with sesame rice

Cumin, cardamom and raisin couscous, with lavash bread and ful medames ( a really popular middle eastern dish with fava beans)

Enoki, peanut, cabbage chinese dumplings in sweet and sour broth.

Stir fried brussel sprouts with amonds , soysauce, sesame seeds and Roast herbed potatoes.

Quorn gratin with crisp breadcrumb topping and soycheese.

MAcaroni and ceci= chickpeas and pasta , which is very popular in Italy. Use chickpeas, pasta, olive oil, carrot and leek broth.