Can the use of lip balm make dry/chapped lips worse?

My lips get chapped fairly easily. I drink enough water, I don't lick my lips- when I use chapstick, Burt's Bee's, Blistex, Carmex, etc, they relieve the dryness for at most 20 minutes, but usually the lip balm just dries up on my lips within 5 minutes and makes my lips worse. Aside from just putting... show more My lips get chapped fairly easily. I drink enough water, I don't lick my lips- when I use chapstick, Burt's Bee's, Blistex, Carmex, etc, they relieve the dryness for at most 20 minutes, but usually the lip balm just dries up on my lips within 5 minutes and makes my lips worse.

Aside from just putting on lip balm, I have tried putting on lotion on my lips, putting on lip balm then a little water on my lips, and using a combination of different lip balms I have tried. Switching off lip balms seemed to work well for a couple weeks somehow, but now it doesn't help much.

Lip Balms I've used:
Burt's Bee's Pomegranate
Walgreen's Bees Wax
Chapstick Spearmint
Blistex Medicated
Blistex...something to do with SPF and lemon flavor?
Carmex Strawberry with SPF

I also keep the lip balm I use at the recommended temperature by putting it in my pants pocket where body heat stores up, since warm lip balm applies better than cold lip balm, but that doesn't do much either in the long-run

Any suggestions?
Update: Thanks for the answers so far.

Oh, and when I said I put water on my lips, I didn't mean I put a whole lot. I just run my index finger under the tap, shake it off so there's only like three drops on my finger, then press my finger against my lips lightly.
Update 2: to noone- yeah, I used to do that, but since my lips are chapping I don't want to reveal new skin faster since it'll just dry out again later....I have to find a good lip balm first >_<
12 answers 12