Serious question for all vegans (or vegetarians)?

First let me start by saying that I in no way disagree with vegetarianism or vegan-ism. It is your right to choose to not eat meat or animal by-products. I agree that it is nice to live knowing you are not causing death or suffering of animals. I am neither a vegetarian or a vegan, but I do see where they are... show more First let me start by saying that I in no way disagree with vegetarianism or vegan-ism. It is your right to choose to not eat meat or animal by-products. I agree that it is nice to live knowing you are not causing death or suffering of animals. I am neither a vegetarian or a vegan, but I do see where they are coming from, and support them entirely.

My question is: if everyone became vegans, what are we supposed to do with all of the cows? Pigs and chickens are pretty hardy, and I'm sure they could survive in the wild on their own, but what about cows? All of the cows in cold areas would freeze in winter without barns, and I'm pretty sure that even "free-range" cows are accustomed to some grain along with grass. So what would be the game plan for cows? Would they be just farm animals? Or pets? Or would we just let them roam and hope for the best?

Again, this is a serious question, and I in no way mean any disrespect.