Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 1 decade ago

People don't realize we continue to be in a Cold War?

Russia has all the intentions of regaining all of its political influence lost in the 90s.

Even now, most of Latin America, countries such as Cuba, Venezuela, Nicaragua, Bolivia and Ecuador, are all strongly against the USA, to the point that all of these nations are in an arms race, sometimes to the point of fanatism. There are other nations trying to wear down the USA influence int he region, such as Brazil. Some other countries are trying to slow this down, such as Peru and Colombia. And the coup in Honduras, while illegal, was a direct result of this new cold war in order to prevent another possible pro/pseudo-communist government there. But enough of my talk, it would be a very long one. I will instead leave you with a YouTube video showing how Russia is working to put most (if not all) of Latin America on its side. So that Russia can install bases there, and such.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYTYl9JIR-4

Youtube thumbnail

(Or in YouTube, search Empire Strikes Back / Russia in the backyard )

I know there are plenty of social injustice not only in Latin America but everywhere, but from that to letting Russia gain an unexpected advantage over everyone else is a very long shot, and a rather dangeours thing. People will ultimately have to decide wether they side with the USA or Russia. Other options are cute, but unfortunately the other options lack the firepower and political power to really do anything.

And lets not forget the Middle East who is also friend of Russia.

I am not sure if this problem concerns the European Union as well, but if they are not concerned, they should be. Because a new, super-powered Russia is not likely to share its well being and might with the European Union, so the European Union might end up being puppets.

A first step the European Union should take to minimize the Russian growing power would be to favor other energy sources other than oil, which would give European Union energetic independence (and could also be friendlier for the environment :) )

Your thoughts? Is Obama ready for the challenge this new Cold War means?

9 Answers

Relevance
  • iceman
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Humans will alsways be at wars, until they all are fully civilized.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

Yes I think that Latin America will, unfortunately, get drawn into this new Cold War, which could one day become a Hot War, but lets leave it at Cold War for now.

About Obama I am not sure. Some days I think he is OK and some other times I have my doubts. The man, apparently, has good intentions, but good intentions might not be enough to avert a serious problem in the future.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

I see a challenge between China and Russia looming. Interests in South America could very well spark it. I wouldn't be to quick to discount China's ability to wage war on their northern border. There industrial capabilities have advanced considerably in the last 20 years. And Russia's military machine is old and poorly kept. China and Russia conflict may begin in South America where Russia would easily win, but it will end in Mongolia, where the Chinese troops will keep coming. Wave after wave after wave...

Mind over Chatter:

I hope you're right about Obama because, well, at present he's the only Commander in Chief we've got! You really ought to lay off the koolaid a bit though.

• Anonymous
    4 years ago

The War on Terror is the same war as the one the IRA fought. We'll be seeing a lot more of these radicalized, violent groups fighting countries, especially since the entire world is on the terrorists' side except for Israel and conservative Americans -- so you better get used to it. You're seeing it in Georgia, Sri Lanka, Bosnia. You'll be seeing it in Western Europe soon. Malmo, Sweden will probably be Western Europe's first "Palestinians".

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

During one conversation, Rockefeller asked Russo if he was interested in joining the Council on Foreign Relations (CFR) but Russo rejected the invitation, saying he had no interest in “enslaving the people” to which Rockefeller coldly questioned why he cared about the “serfs.”

“I used to say to him what’s the point of all this,” said Russo, “you have all the money in the world you need, you have all the power you need, what’s the point, what’s the end goal?” to which Rockefeller replied (paraphrasing), “The end goal is to get everybody chipped, to control the whole society, to have the bankers and the elite people control the world.”

Rockefeller even assured Russo that if he joined the elite his chip would be specially marked so as to avoid undue inspection by the authorities.

In another conversation, Russo states that Rockefeller told him, “Eleven months before 9/11 happened there was going to be an event and out of that event we were going to invade Afghanistan to run pipelines through the Caspian sea, we were going to invade Iraq to take over the oil fields and establish a base in the Middle East, and we’d go after Chavez in Venezuela.”

Rockefeller also told Russo that he would see soldiers looking in caves in Afghanistan and Pakistan for Osama bin Laden and that there would be an “Endless war on terror where there’s no real enemy and the whole thing is a giant hoax,” so that “the government could take over the American people,” according to Russo, who said that Rockefeller was cynically laughing and joking as he made the astounding prediction.

-------

Do you buy the propaganda for stopping Chavez from undermining the IMF?

• Yes, too many people down South of the border and beyond that hates our ilk...and it makes it the more strange that when we pick up the fone and call a major US corporation, one is constantly asked to Press 2 For English, when our true enemies are just lurking within us.

Our greedy corporations are just sitting on the arses greedy for "anything for a buck" yet wants to continue to propagate a second language that will eventually inundate this country.

Shame

• 1 decade ago

Except Russia and the US have both agreed to draw down nukes, and niether have any influence oover proxy powers. Those were the two main points that made the war "cold".

Also, Russia is a parliamentary democracy. They're no longer out to destroy capitalism, since they're capitalists, and have been since the coup.

• Daniel
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

Why would Russia not want to be powerful

That is what we seek

Why are we better than them

Who are we to say they are not entitled to that

Who is to say we cant be friends with them.

They are helping us in many ways

There is no cold war

This is innacurate

I am not a paranoid thinker especially with a president whom knows what he is doing in the white house. I think with our Afghanistan effort today we have showed we have resolve.

Our problem is not Russia

Our problem is Pakistan, Afghanistan, getting out of Iraq and leaving it to the hell it is and demanding Iran come to the bargaining table and after we get all our troops out of IRAQ every one of them tell them we will take them out if they do not comply.

How is that, do we agree?

If you think Obama is weak, look at the offensive he ordered in Afghanistan and Pakistan today...Weak, I THINK NOT.,...

He will win this war for he is a REAL COMMANDER IN CHIEF.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Your right except this time we will loose, with people like Obama how could we possible win.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.