People don't realize we continue to be in a Cold War?

Russia has all the intentions of regaining all of its political influence lost in the 90s. Even now, most of Latin America, countries such as Cuba, Venezuela, Nicaragua, Bolivia and Ecuador, are all strongly against the USA, to the point that all of these nations are in an arms race, sometimes to the point of... show more Russia has all the intentions of regaining all of its political influence lost in the 90s.

Even now, most of Latin America, countries such as Cuba, Venezuela, Nicaragua, Bolivia and Ecuador, are all strongly against the USA, to the point that all of these nations are in an arms race, sometimes to the point of fanatism. There are other nations trying to wear down the USA influence int he region, such as Brazil. Some other countries are trying to slow this down, such as Peru and Colombia. And the coup in Honduras, while illegal, was a direct result of this new cold war in order to prevent another possible pro/pseudo-communist government there. But enough of my talk, it would be a very long one. I will instead leave you with a YouTube video showing how Russia is working to put most (if not all) of Latin America on its side. So that Russia can install bases there, and such.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYTYl9JIR-4

(Or in YouTube, search Empire Strikes Back / Russia in the backyard )

I know there are plenty of social injustice not only in Latin America but everywhere, but from that to letting Russia gain an unexpected advantage over everyone else is a very long shot, and a rather dangeours thing. People will ultimately have to decide wether they side with the USA or Russia. Other options are cute, but unfortunately the other options lack the firepower and political power to really do anything.

And lets not forget the Middle East who is also friend of Russia.

I am not sure if this problem concerns the European Union as well, but if they are not concerned, they should be. Because a new, super-powered Russia is not likely to share its well being and might with the European Union, so the European Union might end up being puppets.

A first step the European Union should take to minimize the Russian growing power would be to favor other energy sources other than oil, which would give European Union energetic independence (and could also be friendlier for the environment :) )

Your thoughts? Is Obama ready for the challenge this new Cold War means?
9 answers 9