Does this make sense?

Enjambment creates the feeling that the war was simply rambling on in a dreary perpetuity.

I'm writing my English essay, talking about a poem. I'm not sure that the word 'perpetuity' is right? I'm basically trying to say it creates the feeling it keeps going on continuously, with no hope for an end in the near future and it's dreary and bleak. Any ideas?

Favorite Answer

I believe the word usage is right, but it doesn't flow because it conflicts with your verb tense.

Kind of weird, you say that the "war was" which implies it happened in the past, but then describe it as everlasting/non-ending when you describe it using "perpetuity." Also, if you want to use "perpetuity" (it's a nice word), I wouldn't qualify it as "'a' dreary perpetuity" but simply "dreary perpetuity."

Either change the tense to present or drop perpetuity and use another word like "deathless" (see first link) and say

Enjambment creates the feeling that the war is deathless.

Also, avoid being prolix (another good word). A few simple sentences can get the job done and helps keep the reader's attention.

Hope this helps.

yeah it makes sense!!! nice wording=D

Well said !