When is a computer ever safe from viruses?

I've been trying to learn more about how computers get viruses, because I've had at least 3 PCs get badly infected, 1 of those very recently, and I'm getting frustrated about it. What I essentially came up with is: You can get a virus from ANYWHERE and ANYTHING you do on the internet. Facebook,... show more I've been trying to learn more about how computers get viruses, because I've had at least 3 PCs get badly infected, 1 of those very recently, and I'm getting frustrated about it.

What I essentially came up with is: You can get a virus from ANYWHERE and ANYTHING you do on the internet.

Facebook, deviantart, youtube, gamespot, etc., I've heard that all these sites have had issues with trojans being "routed" through them, directly onto your computer. And if you DO download things, viruses can be attached to any file type, .MP3, .JPG, .DOC, .XLS, .MOV, etc. etc. You could get a virus even if you're just downloading a simple wallpaper from google images.

So, somebody who is actually educated about these things: am I correct in coming to this conclusion? Is a computer ever 100% safe from viruses at any time on the internet? This is what my research seems to be telling me. I just want someone to confirm it (or correct me if I'm wrong).

(Also this only seems to apply to PCs. I've never known anyone who got a virus on a Mac. They get software/hardware issues but NOT viruses. Which is why I'm not going to use PCs anymore. Unless someone surprises me and tells me there's a "safe" way to browse with a PC....)