ibwt123 asked in PetsDogs · 1 decade ago

My puppy keeps eating bunny poop!!?

My 12 week old Poodle-Yorkie is eating bunny poop every time he is put outside to 'do his business'. He actually looks for it too, he sniffs until he finds the little green pellets. Is there any way to stop him from doing this? Can this be harmful/should I worry?

Thanks

Update:

I forgot to mention, we put up a small 8x6 fence to keep him from finding the bunny poop when he goes, but he is stubborn and refused to go inside of it. Any ideas?

13 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Best Answer

Different animals process nutrients differently, which makes other animals poop (and for some puppies, even their own) delicious. Even thought the act is gross to us, its completely normal for dogs. A mother dog even cleans up the poop from her babies to keep the area clean. This shouldn't be harmful necessarily, unless he ingests something else while he is pigging out on bunny poop (EX: bunny poops near a plant with poisonous seeds that drop to the ground and puppy eats the seeds with the poop.) There is also the chance that he can catch a parasite or worms from the poop, but I'm assuming these are rabbits you own and they should be UTD on shots and dewormings as well. If it is wild poop, it needs to be avoided.

To get him to stop, you will need to keep him on a tight leash when he goes outside to do his business, and then loosen the leash but keep it on to let him play. He should not be outside alone anyway just yet because of all the trouble he can get into. You can also try going outside before him and cleaning up the area so there is no poop to eat, or put up a puppy playpen that he will go into (and that will keep the bunnies out) at potty time.

• 3 years ago

Dog Eating Rabbit Poop

• Rita
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/avnff

I was having the same problem with my puppy. I have no idea why they want to eat it, but they do and it was driving me crazy. She would sniff and sniff until she found it and i agree you can't find it like they can. I never let her outside alone and i watch her every move and she still snatched it up. I tried everything to keep her away from it, but nothing worked. I ended up building a pen thing with rabbit fencing to keep them out cause no matter what i did she would not stop. Maybe make a dog pen for her to poop and pee in. I have a small dog so it was a lot easier for me to do, but you can try to fence in just a area for her. I hope i helped cause i know how frustrating it is. I wanted to say that i am sure that they was outside with her cause how else would they know that she was eating rabbit poop.

• 4 years ago

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

My puppy keeps eating bunny poop!!?

My 12 week old Poodle-Yorkie is eating bunny poop every time he is put outside to 'do his business'. He actually looks for it too, he sniffs until he finds the little green pellets. Is there any way to stop him from doing this? Can this be harmful/should I worry?

Thanks

Source(s): puppy eating bunny poop: https://shortly.im/WjcJQ
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

My german shepherds eat deer poop - just a thing they do. I have to make sure they are wormed annually - but otherwise - they aren't going to die from it - just don't watch - it is a very disgusting thing, but they are dogs and they can tolerate things like that quite easily. Their systems are different from ours.

My vet said it isn't a vitamin deficiency or anything like that - they are just "cleaning" up the yard of any evidence that deer are in charge of that territory. So there you are.... your baby dog is still a dog and is having dominance issues - he is doing what he is instinctively built to do. Stopping it would be tough - short of going out there and spraying the citrus repel spray you buy at pet stores... but that would be quite a job and may not do anything anyway. Just ignore it and let him do his thing..

• 1 decade ago

There's this new thing they have out now; they call it a leash. What, a Yorkie will drag you down the street in search of bunny pellets? Young dogs will eat the most disgusting stuff and roll around in worse; somebody has to be the boss here.

• 1 decade ago

You'll never stop him. Dogs are scavengers and will eat almost anything, especially if it stinks. All you can do is keep an eye on him and learn how to say NO with authority.

• Jo
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

Dogs love poo of all kinds.

Mine is always eating cat, goat, horse and chicken. Goat appears to be her favorite.

I just make sure that I worm her on a strict schedule, she doesn't seem to suffer any ill effects from the poo eating.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

You might have to walk him on a leash into the yard and keep him away from the bunny poop. It can't be good for him!!!

• 1 decade ago

That's funny!

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.