Can I plug a new 4 port router into my current 4 port router, giving me 7 ports to use?

I want to get a PS3 and build a new PC but my router is only set up for 4 device. I already have 2 computers, an xbox and a network drive so I have no room for 2 more devices ( this isn’t even including the wireless devices ). I want to get another router and it appears I will save some money if I can just get another 4 port router to plug into my current one. Any info would be appreciated.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTool...

So if I get something like the above link shows, I can plug it right in to my router and !violia! I will have more ports for my networking?

Favorite Answer

Yes, but what you want is a "switch" not a router.

• bey

confident, you are able to. usually you are able to installation as much as 3 switches in sequence (some say 5, yet i've got had problems with something over 3). Many modern-day switches are clever... they are able to tell regardless of in case you're utilising a patch cable or crossover, or they have a particular port it is dedicated or switchable to permit the link devoid of a crossover cable. purchase a change it is the two clever, or has one port which would be configured to settle for a familiar patch cable. do not even worry with the crossover cable. what's the component? it is then an exceptionally basic concern to link the switches mutually (they are able to even sit down top on good of one yet another) and you do not ought to worry with which cable is the "crossover'...

• GTB

Bad idea

Buy an 8 port 10/100 unmanaged switch. Connect one port to one of the router ports, connect other LAN devices (PC, print servers, etc) to other ports on the switch.

Switch is cheaper than router.

A second router results in subnet issues you need to configure around as well.

yes you can, but the easiest way would to just get another switch. i tried what you want to do and its a pain in the but to make everything work right.

• Toby

Yes, but you'd be better off buying a switch:

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/operatingsystems/ss/...