Isn't it strange that Martin Luther's faith alone doctrine inspired such a vast amount of theology?

Is that not a contradiction?

If faith alone is important, why bother with all this intellectual defense? What matters logic at all? Should faith not be sufficient?

So why indeed all this theology, then?

Or as Nietzsche may have said:

Isn't that suspicious?

15 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

My dad once told me, decades ago, that if you tell a lie, then you have to tell another lie to cover the first one, and then a third lie to cover the second one, and a fourth lie to cover the third one, ad infinitum. So when Martin Luther and King Jimmy and Gang started telling lies back in the 1500's or so, they've been having to publish their own book, or "Bible" as they call it, and telling more and more lies to cover the first ones. And then, once they started to lie about God and Jesus and the Roman Catholic Church, a lot of people fell for that temptation of starting their own church, as "the Bible (provides Hope)" (or whatever his name is) suggested in a "question" of his the other day. "Strange"? "Suspicious"? Not really. That's what you come up with when you start lying, or following the Father of Lies, Satan. God Bless you.

Source(s): I'm a Roman Catholic for almost 60 years now and a mental health professional with 20+ years experience, now retired.
  • 1 decade ago

That happened because the bible doesn't explain everything people want explained, so if you're going to go for "bible alone" theology as protestants do, you're going to get disagreements in the areas the bible isn't clear about. The catholic church, on the other hand, fills in the gaps by laying down what must be believed. That's why the catholic church is still one big united body but protestants have fragmented into thousands of denominations.

You mention faith, but you still have to have faith IN something. Faith that a certain thing is true and not what another denomination believes.

• 1 decade ago

When Luther came up with the faith alone/sola scriptura theory, he did not know the impact of private interpretation; that people came up with their own interpretation and voila, a new church is created. So, by now this 38000 differing sermons and interpretations, is like as if we are swimming in an ocean of delusion and conflicting dogma; it created a chaos of unholy teachings. God is not God of confusion. Consequently, the Holy Spirit is NOT with him. BTW, he died trying to make peace between his two waring factions.

• 3 years ago

The regulation isn't of religion: Galatians 3:11,12 So start up your faith-->wish-->charity(never fails) with grace, till ye(err) want yer wish to be hopeless, by damned if ye Do-teronmy & damed if ye do no longer-eronomy. Take Heed one 0 one style of JC's Grace and reality? Pay nearer interest to the considerable factors, grasshopper. reason: so no longer get deceived, like many, by many. Eg: Delli Lambma pay attention nearer to what I say: ha ha ha ha ha ha ha. Eg: Jack of the Impe kinfolk, on JVI delivers jack(john) says what deceivers say in Luke 21:8, (in line with Mt 24:4,5 ... Mk13:5,6 ... Lk21:7,8) additionally says: "flow ye no longer consequently after them", who say have self belief stuff, fairly than comprehend. John 8:32 comprehend makes you freed from ideals needless to say contrasting ideals can no longer all be genuine, so enable God be genuine and each guy a liar. God isn't a guy that he ought to lie. Pt: Grace isn't mortal, regulation is mortal. in basic terms what began can end. The regulation began. eternal Grace has no commencing up nor any end. The GRACE of our Lord Jesus Christ with you all. Amen.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

When he said "only faith saves" I don't think he meant that nothing else was important.

@Radical Centrist: 1 John and James say otherwise. Faith without works is dead.

• 1 decade ago

Luther's dissension theology isn't valid in the field of theology. No more than Rules for Radicals is valid in political science.

• It's not really that strange.

Think about it. According to the "faith only" doctrine, you can lead an immoral life and still go to Heaven as long as you profess belief in Jesus.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

inspired theology. more like confusion

• What Martin Luther does is throw out Jesus teaching to obey the commandments if we wish to go to heaven. It does take a vast amount of theology to convince a large group of people to throw out Jesus' teaching on what we must to to share in eternal life.

Jesus, What Must I Do To Share In Everlasting Life?

http://apocalypseangel.com/5a.html

Luther's "theology" comes almost completely from St. Paul. There is a great deal of controversy between St. Paul's writings and Jesus', St. Peter, St. James and all the other writings of the bible. Even much of St. Paul's writings seem to contradict St. Paul's writings.

In Romans 2:4, St. Paul does teach that we must obey God's Commandments to go to heaven through Jesus as Jesus taught.

NAB ROM 2:4

Do you not know that God's kindness is an invitation to you to repent? In spite of this, your hard and impenitent heart is storing up retribution for that day of wrath when the just judgment of God will be revealed, when he will repay every man for what he has done: eternal life to those who strive for glory, honor, and immortality by patiently doing right; wrath and fury to those who selfishly disobey the truth and obey wickedness. Yes, affliction and anguish will come upon every man who has done evil, the Jew first, then the Greek. But there will be glory, honor and peace for everyone who has done good, likewise the Jew first, then the Greek. With God there is no favoritism.

The way people go to heaven is through the blood of Jesus. The reason people go to heaven is because they love God and love for God is accomplished through free from the will of God obedience to the will of God.

St. Paul does teach us to love God through obeying the Commandments to go to heaven through Jesus as Roman's 2:4 teaches. There are many other verses from St. Paul that can get very confusing. St. Peter warns us of this. St. James clearly challenges some false ideas that can occur from misunderstanding St. Paul's writings.

NAB 2PE 3:14 Preparation for the Coming.

Consider that our Lord's patience is directed toward salvation. Paul, our beloved brother, wrote you this in the spirit of wisdom that is his, dealing with these matters as he does in all his letters. There are certain passages in them hard to understand. The ignorant and the unstable distort them (just as they do the rest of Scripture) to their own ruin. You are forewarned, beloved brothers. Be on your guard lest you be led astray by the error of the wicked, and forfeit the security you enjoy.

NAB JAM 2:14

My brothers, what good is it to profess faith without practicing it? Such faith has no power to save one, has it? If a brother or sister has nothing to wear and no food for the day, and you say to them, "Good-bye and good luck! Keep warm and well fed," but do not meet their bodily needs, what good is that? so it is with the faith that does nothing in practice. It is thoroughly lifeless.

To such a person one might say, You have faith and I have works is that it? Show me your faith without works, and I will show you the faith that underlies my works! Do you believe that God is one? you are quite right. The demons believe that, and shudder.

Never Ever throw out the teachings of Jesus Christ for what you may think St. Paul is saying. Head the warnings of St. Peter. There can be confusion emanating from St. Paul's writings. St. Peter makes it an Apocalyptic issue "Preparation for the Coming". Be sure to be doing and teaching what Jesus commanded when Jesus arrives in His Second Coming.

St. Paul's Faith Alone vs. Jesus Teaching to Obey, for Salvation Through Jesus

http://apocalypseangel.com/8a.html

NAB JOH 5:27

"The Father has given over to him power to pass judgment because he is Son of Man; no need for you to be surprised at this, for an hour is coming in which all those in their tombs shall hear his voice and come forth. Those who have done right shall rise to live; the evildoers shall rise to be damned."

NAB REV 22:12

"Remember, I am coming soon! I bring with me the reward that will be given to each man as his conduct deserves. I am the Alpha and the Omega, the First and the Last, the Beginning and the End! Happy are they who wash their robes so as to have free access to the tree of life and enter the city through its gates Outside are the dogs and sorcerers, the fornicators and murderers, the idol-worshipers and all who love falsehood."

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

They and the rest of the reformation followers had to have a valid excuse for leaving the Roman church and making a schism.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.