How do you go from PFC to CPL?

I want to get promoted soon? what do i do to get the third rarest rank.

Favorite Answer

I am assuming you are Army. If you are - then Specialist is the next rank after PFC - it is E-4 as I am sure you know. CPL is an NCO slot that is filled when there are too many E-5's in a particular MOS or in your company but you have shown outstanding service and your command would like to put you into a leadership position. CPL is also awarded to those whose MOS's have points that are virtually unattainable and they need/want someone to fill an NCO slot. A lot of medical MOS's have points that I have never seen drop below 760 and they usually sit at 798 for SGT. I am a medic and was promoted on 666 points, I had 698 - two months later points maxed out at 798 for E-5 and E-6. Your best bet is to shoot for your 5. Get your 4 and prove yourself as a leader. Take college courses on GoArmyEd (it's paid for if you're active duty) and do your correspondence courses, push your PT and your weapons qual. Awards - you're good for 4 COA's you can get those by volunteering to do stuff outside your job. It sounds like you are driven - but if you only want CPL because it's the 3rd rarest rank then you are overlooking the responsibility that comes with it. A CPL is required to perform the same duties as a SGT. You should always strive to perform at a level that is 2 paygrades above the one you hold. That's how you get command to notice you and you get the schools you want.

Source(s): US ARMY NCO

pfc to cpl in what the marines or the army its different i know but in the army a pfc is an e3 and a cpl is an e4 so you need to get promoted but usually you get promoted to specialist spc when you get e4 unless your in an e-5 slot which is a sgt slot and then you get cpl stripes just a little more responsibility than your average e4 but the same pay

Depends on what kind of unit you are in. Usually Combat Arms have CPL's but i've seen combat support and even support units have CPL. Its command directed so if you are serving in a NCO position whether it be the 20 or 30 level of your MOS then it should be your PSG to recommend you.

Source(s): Army Active Duty Promoted to CPL OIF III