JD
Lv 5

What force makes the Earth Spin on ths own Axis each 24hr and also around the sun each year?

Sorry guys, What i ment is were does the force come from. No need to be rude you know.

Update:

Update 2:

If your religios you could say act of god, But if your into the science i think you would have trouble explaining it.

BTW im not religious

Update 3:

What is it with this site and all the people who jump at a chance to slag.

I ment what do you recon causes the energy.

26 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago

Gravity and inertia.

Gravity is that force which binds matter together in accordance to their weight. Inertia is simply a law that states that things in movement tends to stay in movement.

Therefore, the planets are attracted towards the sun, but being in movement, they tend to continue on their movement. The balance between gravity and inertia produces an ellipse. This balance between a repelling and an attractive force is also often described as centrifugal force. (Where gravity could be understood as a string attaching the planets to the sun for explanation purposes).

• 1 decade ago

gravitational precession. Gravity isn't instantaneous, it has a speed which means that the leading edge of a body orbiting another body accumulates slightly more gravity than the trailing edge, which in turn induces spin. Over billions of years it mounts up.

The protoplanetary disk from which the earth was made was orbiting the sun. When that cloud of debris coalesced it had to maintain its angular momentum. As the disk compressed more and more it naturally span faster and faster, which accounts for the initial rate of spin of the earth (law of the conservation of angular momentum).

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Gravity

• 1 decade ago

Inertia keeps the Earth spinning on it's axis, gravity keeps the Earth in orbit of the Sun.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Frizby
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

The force and energy God put in motion at the beginning of Creation..

• Corey
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

Well, there are forces that are a part of it, like gravity, but also momentum (angular and linear). Science doesn't have trouble explaining it. If you want a scientific explanation, ask in the science section.

• 1 decade ago

Gravity, which is an observable scientific fact.

Or magic man in the sky whirls us around like a spinning top... take your pick.

• 1 decade ago

If you just said gravity, that's an indication of how deep your knowledge and thought processes are. The bigger question is why does gravity exist. We can make predictions about it's effects, but that doesn't mean we know how or why it exists. :)

• Moi
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

Newton's three laws of motion explain it but not where the earth and sun came form and who set them in motion.

Mostly momentum, centrifugal and centripetal forces.

• 1 decade ago

Inertia, gravity, probably some centrifugal force....

And, I'm religious. Don't generalize religious people, it makes you look a little silly.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.