What is the best protective gear for a motorcyclist?

I am thinking about purchasing the baseline Harley Davidson Sportster, but before I even come close to buying the bike, I will be taking the MSF course. Safety is incredibly import to me, as is a little fun. My major question though is, when purchasing protective gear, what are certain things I should look for.... show more I am thinking about purchasing the baseline Harley Davidson Sportster, but before I even come close to buying the bike, I will be taking the MSF course. Safety is incredibly import to me, as is a little fun. My major question though is, when purchasing protective gear, what are certain things I should look for. Also, between leather, textile, and mesh, which offers the most protection and why. I know many cruiser bike riders don't do this (at least that I've seen), and many will find it uncool but I don't care, I will be getting a full face helmet. I know that leather is generally the "look" for cruiser style bikes, but I enjoy motorcycles, and maximum protection is more important to me than maximum coolness.

I know many of you may say, if you want maximum protection, don't ride a motorcycle. I thank you for your concern and well-intentions

Also, the one jacket that has caught my interest more than others in the Power-Trip Army Flak-Textile jacket. It SEEMS like it is protective, looks cool, and gives me a chance to represent my service as well. Anyone know anything about this jacket?