Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsCats · 1 decade ago

How should I try to "capture" a stray cat and bring him inside my house?

I've been feeding a neighborhood stray cat for a couple months. Yesterday, I asked a question about how to help him get through this upcoming brutal Minnesota winter. I received several answers that said I should bring him inside. I'm not sure how to accomplish that, because he's still too skiddish around people to get close to.

Thanks!

I should clarify a little. I've already got him coming up to the house to eat the food I put out, I just can't actually get close to him myself. I can't put the food inside with the door open, because the temperature is in the single digits (along with the snow, etc).

Favorite Answer

Wow - you're getting a lot of answers that will either take forever or may drive that cat away. That is a hazard of this list - anyone can respond, but not many people have actual experience.

Your local animal shelter or Humane Society should loan you a Hav-A-Heart trap. If not, Lowes and Home depot carry them. This is a humane trap that will frighten him but not hurt him. Bait it with whatever you give him that he likes to eat. Monitor it closely, so that he isn't in it for long. Set it up when you are home and where you can easily see it without frightening the cat away. Unset the trap when you go to bed or out for the day and reset it when you get home.

Be aware you may accidentally pick up an opossum or other wild animal ( or the neighbor's cat), in which case you just release it, no big deal, and try again.

Once you get him inside, take him to a small room ( I recommend a bathroom in case he sprays so you can easily clean it) and release him. Have it prepared with a litter box and food and a place he can go to hide and sleep.

Most people will recommend that you leave him alone to get used to his surroundings. I work with ferals and strongly disagree with this. He will be very vulnerable at this point, and will be more likely to let you handle him than once his confidence is back. Sit with him, talk to him, and hand him cat treats. Pet him as much as he allows without scratching or biting you. Most feral cats will hiss and cringe, but will pet you pet them. I pick them up and put them on their rump on my lap ( like a baby) if they let me. They will curl up in a ball, but hug them and they often start purring, if not that session then the next. I basically do occupational therapy like an OT would do with an autistic child with my ferals. You work with what they like best and what scares them at the same time an they open up. But always do it in a safe, small room. If you are curious about OT, look up Sensory Integration and proporeception ( which is what a hug gives us, and which soothes our neurological system, whether we are cat or human). Figure out what sort of touch he likes best ( ferals usually seem to prefer a firm reassuring touch) and offer that constantly.

Visit the room often - several times a day, until the cat feels comfortable, and then give them more and more room to explore, but not the whole house at once. Always offer a hiding place, but one you can reach into if you need to get the cat out. Don't let every Tom Dick and Harry invade that space, because then it won't feel safe, but he will soon trust you to do it.

Source(s): Years of experience working with 'scratch and dent' cats.
  • Vamp

The moving the bowl to the door is a good idea, once you have got it in the house start off feeding with the door open, then after a couple of days you'll need to shut the cat in the house and keep it there for several days. You should make sure that the cat spends those days in the room(s) in which you are but with somewhere to hide.

If the cat will not come in, is there a sheltered place (perhaps an outhouse) that you can put blankets in?

Snatching up an outdoor cat and simply throwing it into a house can lead to some very destructive behaviour on the part of the cat. Not a project that I would willingly undertake. One can force these cats inside bu at the first opportunity they WILL bolt through the nearest open door and they WILL be gone for good.

I live a 'bit further North' (Saskatchewan, Canada) than Minnesota and we have feral cats here that have survived numerous Winters where the temperature can dip to MINUS 50F degrees. Now, the community has an old wooden shed that we stock up with fresh hay in the Fall and we do have a feeding station where we can drop off food for these cats. That seem to suit them just fine.

• Cindy

If you can't keep the cat & are afraid she will get hurt by the neighbor's cat then I suggest you see if you can take her to an animal shelter. Ask if the shelter is a 'No Kill' shelter. We foster kittens at a shelter near us where they don't kill the animals. Be careful not to get bitten though.

Having done this recently, I can suggest two methods.

1. Buy or rent a specially made cat trap.

2. Lure him inside and quickly close the door. I actually tied a string to it so I could close it without getting close and scarring the cat. (Sounds a little silly, but it worked.)

That he is skittish is not going to make it easy. If you have a spare room, you can provide a confined area and then try to calm him down. A lot depends on just how feral he is. If he once had a home, he may come around easier. Contact a shelter or rescue group in your area for the use of a trap. You withhold food for a day, and then put out nice smelly wet cat food in the trap. You then take him inside, and release him in the spare room. A lot depends on how old and how feral he is as far as taming him. Look up methods that you feel might work.

Another approach is to provide him with a secure shelter, and they can be made quite inexpensively. In Minnesota, the hardest part is trying to provide water that won't freeze. I have provided some links on how to make a cold weather shelter. If he has a shelter, then you have more time to get him accustomed to human contact.

hmm that is a good question. I would try to attempt to "capture" the animal by using a blanket to grab him, that way he can't scratch or bite you. and put the animal in a room where he would be feel safe/warm and that you would not worrry about getting stuff cratched on etc. It will take a while for the animal to get used to people, but once you show it some kindness etc he will come around sooner or later. Although it does depend on what it's history has been, sometimes they are to neglected/abused and they can't be around people anymore. Make sure that is has its shots, and you could even have their claws taken out if you wish.

• john

Ask a few rescue groups in your area for help.Call your local Humane Society and this group will give

you all the assistance you need as far as trapping a feral.

Just give him food often...in if you show love to him..the act will go to you with out being scared! Because animals can telling when a person loves them...i dont know how but they just do. Just call to cat im sure he'll go to you.

Throw treats to him and progressively get the treat to land closer to you. Eventually he will get close enough for you to snag him and bring him inside. Then give the cat his space while he is inside for a long time and then put food out for him and a litter box.

live animal trap. like this one.

http://www.havahart.com/store/live-animal-traps/30...

you can buy it, or many shelters and animal control officers loan them.

put near his food for a few days. let him get used to it. then put food inside trap.

if this cat will not let you touch him, i suggest consulting with a cat person or shelter first, as you will need to know how to handle him once you release him inside. and he will need a vet. at the very least, he will have worms.

also, see if there is a cat rescue group that will catch it, tame it, then give it to you.