I NEED to quit smoking, but I need my parents help and they don't know I smoke!?

I am not a regular smoker, I smoke once in a while, maybe three or four times a month. which is a lot for a 17 year old who isn't even LEGAL! I have smoked for a year now and I need to QUIT. I just had this urge to start, maybe peer pressure i don't know whatever it is it still comes back and I have to have a cigarette. But it is like I go on binges, I just stop and don't smoke for like three weeks. AND then I smoke like a pack in a week. It is just bad, I have astma already and I need to stop. My parents don't know and I need there help! How do I stop smoking!

Best Answer

Tell about it to them. They will be that atleast you told them the truth.

And they will help you.

I Have Been Smoking For Five Years. I Started In Eighth Grade. It Started Out Like You Ya Know Every So Often I Would Smoke A Cigarette Get It Out Of My System, But Today I Smoke A Pack And A Half A Day.You Should Suck A Lollipop Every Time You Think You Need One, And If That Doesnt Work I Think You Should Tell Your Parents Because I Dont Want You Getting Addicted Like I Did.

• Ciara

3 or 4 is not loads for 17 year old. I don't smoke but alot of teens I know do. They smoke anything from 6 or 7 a week up to 20 a day.

If you want to quit then just quit. If you only have 3 or 4 a month then you are NOT addicted.

• Cindy

NONE of the government warnings on cigarette packets even works... if it did then no one would be smoking... you need a different approach... when you get in a conversation about smoking again, casually slip in the conversation that you would like to see BOTH of them at your wedding some day Also you could suggest or even buy for them "The Easy Way to Stop Smoking" by Allen Carr (from amazon ~ $10) This book has helped millions of people to stop smoking nicotine patches dont really work that well... great in the first week or so, not so great after a year. You cannot treat a nicotine addiction by prescribing more nicotine ! My sister and my hygenist have successfully quit (4+ years) after having hypnotherapy... You could suggest to each of your parents to pay for the hypnotherapy for each other...

First of all, don't worry too much. Smoking is bad for you obviously but you don't smoke a lot and even a pack in a week isn't too bad. I'd advise you not to tell your parents but maybe tell your friends so they can help you out by not letting you smoke around them. Also, don't carry much money with you so you can't buy them. A friend of mine quit by eating a lollipop every time she wanted a cigarette (sounds silly but it worked for her!)

Source(s): I'm 17 too and I smoke between 4 and 8 cigarettes a day depending on what I'm doing. I also have friends who smoke and know people who used to smoke.

Just stop doing it. I smoked every day for five years and I quit cold turkey no problem. You don't even smoke enough to be addicted. Stop making excuses and just quit. Every time you stop smoking for a week or two, you go through withdrawal so just don't start again. I think you need to take responsibility for yourself and just stop doing it.

If you tell them about your smoking habits and how you want to quit, I think they'd be more than happy to help you. I can't think of why your parents wouldn't want to help you quit smoking, even if they're angry.

• Leah

If you only smoke 3-4 times a month, you aren't physically addicted. It's all in your head hate to tell you. If you just control yourself and not smoke, you won't have any of the sucky physical effects, because your not addicted.

Since you rarely smoke, you aren't truly addicted. All you have to do to stop is stop. When you want to smoke, do some exercise instead. Every single time you feel the urge, just exercise. Eventually your cravings will go away and you got in some healthy exercise in the process.

Will Power.

Also, chances are your parents know you smoke. Seriously don't kid yourself, I bet you stink to high heaven. Or you can probably have some older kid buy you some patches. If you can't afford them, just steal them. If you get caught just light up in the police car. The cop will understand that you have a problem and let you go and keep the patches.

dats weird...how can you smoke like a pak in a week and den just stop for a few weeks and then have another pack??...im 15 and i smoke one pack in every 2 days...

seeing as your 17 and only have a few months to go untill your 18 your options are to either come clean to your parents(it cant be that bad cuz your showin them that your not hiding it from them anymore)

or you can just wait till your 18 to tell them...