Are there any actual automats left? Where?

Anyone remember the old automats, restaurant/cafeteria type places where you bought whatever plate of food you wanted from small windowed compartments? I'm wondering if anyone knows where there might be any left operating

I've seen the newer automat-type vending machines that spin the items around in a circle, which is what reminds me of the actual full-sized automats that I'm referring to. These were actually the feature of the room, taking up perhaps several walls, and then just tables there taking up the rest of the place, space for people to sit & eat what they had purchased.

You can definitely tell that the quality of food in most automat-type vending machines is not the same quality of food that was normally available at the full-sized automats.

Favorite Answer

The last I heard of this, was a story out of Japan and way back in the early 90s. Not only food but clothes, shoes and there was sleeping pods, tubular little things you could recline or lay down in but not sit up in with TVs no less. I seem to remember all this revolving around a new airport or remodel of one. The gist of the story was you could do all this in one spot and never need talk to a person, assuming the machines didn't malfunction eating you change.

• hawkjr

Automats In Nyc

I remember the old Horn and Harnetts (did I mispell that last name?). As a child I was fascinated by them. They also figured into so many movies. Remember "That Touch of Mink"? Doris Day talking to her friend (Audrey Meadows or her sister) through the window.

If anyone knows of one still in NYC, please let me know.

Cheers

>>>>>>>>>>>

Just looked it up. Bamm Automat, St. Mark's Place, between Second and Third.

I think somebody actually started a NEW one somewhere in New York. I saw a news snip about it. It's got a sort of modern retro look. I hope it succeeds.

They're everywhere, we even have one in our office...they now have mainly sealed meals that you microwave...check out almost any bus station etc...