xoh:) asked in Food & DrinkCooking & Recipes · 1 decade ago

how long should i boil a hard boiled egg ?

how long should i boil a hard boiled egg ????

Favorite Answer

the water should be at a very low boil (barely moving water) for 13 minutes.

I put mine in a steamer basket over boiling water for 13 minutes. This works perfectly. They are called "steamed eggs" when done this way. I got this tip from Alton Brown's book - and it works perfectly every time.

Using a pot large enough that, when the eggs are place in it, the eggs aren't crowed, and there will be enough cold water to cover the egg completely. You want the water level to be about an inch higher than the eggs.

Prior to placing the eggs in the pot, take a pin (I find a safety pin works best) and poke a tiny hole in the fat end of each eggshell.

Bring the water to a boil. Once the water is boiling, place a lid on the pot and remove it from the heat. Wait fifteen to twenty minutes. Drain the water from the eggs and fill the pan with cool water. You want the eggs just cool enough to handled. Crack and peel the eggs, from the fat end.

Perfect every time

NEVER boil eggs. Bring to to a boil, then turn off the heat, cover and wait 20 minutes. They come out perfect every time, will most likely not crack, and will never have that green color on the yolk. I was taught this by a professional chef(my dad).

• ?

Start the egg in cold water and bring it to a boil. Turn off the heat. Let the water cool and it's ready.

its supposed to be 13 mins. at 13 mins take an egg out stand it on end and spin the smoother it spins the harder its boiled some one said until it floats, you can boil an egg for three days and its not going to float

Source(s): retired chef

Mine never seem to come out hard enough...I do about 12 minutes to 16 minutes, boiling constantly.

• ZM1080

place a warm egg (eggs should not be stored in the fridge) into boiling water. Continue to boil for 3 miutes for a soft yolk, 6 minutes for best tasting yolk, just set, and 8 - 10 minutes to set the yolk hard.

I have cooked eggs in a pan of cooking rice (very low heat). Solid yolk but soft but firm white, very nice, not at all rubbery.

I start my eggs in water and then set the timer for 19 minutes...when the timer beeps they're done. Set them in icy cold water so the yolks don't turn that awful color around the outside of them.

another method that I think Martha uses...

Place eggs in single layer in saucepan.

Cover with at least one inch of cold water over tops of shells.

Cover pot with lid and bring to a boil over medium heat.

As soon as the water comes to a full boil, remove from heat and let stand.

Large soft-cooked eggs: let stand in hot water 1 to 4 minutes, depending on your tastes.

Large hard-cooked eggs: let stand in hot water 15 to 17 minutes.

When cooked to desired level, drain off hot water.

Immediately cover with cold water and add a few ice cubes.

Soft-cooked eggs: let stand in cold water until cool enough to handle. Serve.

Hard-cooked eggs: let stand in cold water until completely cooled. Use as needed.

Tips:

Never boil eggs. It makes them rubbery.

Approximately 8-10 minutes, High heat.

I boil it 1. until it either floats to the top

2. If it spins upright like a top it's done.

( #2 is how my husband does it)