Question regarding film festivals?

I want to know more about film festival for people making a film.

What I mean is, maybe one day, I'm going to make my own film. Despite being an unknown person, can I still send an entries?

IF, just IF, my film is one of the best, will they remake it with a better cast or just showcase the film to a theater?

I'm not saying it will happen but it is just one of my big dream to make it happen... hear what I was fantasizing.

I make a film, using my own cast, and send it. When it get noted, I was hoping to get a certain actor of my choice to cast in the remake. Is that possible??

Favorite Answer

You do not need to be known to submit to festivals. You simply have to go through the submission process, and a group of programmers will review your work and determine if they'll allow it to be showcased.

Before you go submitting away, make sure you know what you're doing. Make a few short films that are expendable first to get practice in, and THEN make the one you really want. Ensure you study the craft and DO NOT SKIMP on any aspect, including sound. The programmers are looking for above all a well executed story, but they do not want to see crappy sound design and terrible acting either.

I recommend reading a few books. Try these:

How Not to Make a Short Film: Secrets from a Sundance Programmer by Roberta Marie Munroe (Tells a lot about what they are looking for, and what they are not! Highly regarded)

How to Shoot a Feature Film for Under $10,000 (And Not Go to Jail) by Bret Stern (a lot of tips and tricks you'll want to know)

The Shut Up and Shoot Documentary Guide: A Down & Dirty DV Production by Anthony Q. Artis (Yes, it says documentaries, but it will help you with all aspects of filmmaking)

Designing sound for animation by Robin Beauchamp (Not just for animation purposes. DO NOT SKIMP THE SOUND)

Once you get a firm hold on basic filmmaking, then go and make your short. Submit to festivals and if you get a lot of play in the festival circuit, THEN you can worry about networking around and trying to get your film re-made by a professional cast at these events, as a lot of professionals in the industry attend them.

Source(s): filmmaker, animator, enthusiast!
  • liam

Like many of the action picture international, if the competition is of any length or status, i'm constructive that is politically biased in one way or yet another. If Michael Moore can win the optimal award at Cannes for a BS propaganda action picture, then something is incorrect.