Anonymous
Anonymous asked in TravelAsia PacificChina · 1 decade ago

"Hey, China" is this a racist?

I was recently on facebook, debating a hot topic and a person responded by saying "Hey, China", my network is China but, I told the person that this was a racist comment

it is like calling a black-man "Hey, Africa" or an Indian "Hey, India". It is not out right racist like hey chink or slant eyes, but, it does carry a touch of racism

what do you think, am I right, what is your opinion?

they countered and said no it is not racist, it is like calling an Australian "Hey Australia"

but I said that that does not invoke the mind to think in a racist way, "Hey China" or "Hey Africa" does

Favorite Answer

I agree with the above answer to some degree that it is not racist, but, it would be very easy to deny the racism when they were actually being racist, I think this comment is totally uncalled for and anyone who said this at school or in the work place would get in trouble for sure

You haven't really asked a question other than in the title, so, I would say you over reacted. How often have you heard an American called a "Yank", an Australian an "Aussie" or an Englishman a "Brit"? No harm in it surely!

For some reason which I have never understood though it is racist in the UK to call a Pakistani a "Paki". I have to say it does sound a little demeaning but I wouldn't say it is racist other than it sigles out their particular nation. Is calling somebody a Christian racist? Although the PC brigade do seem to take offence at a female being called a "woman", should be a "person" (as in chairman/chairwoman should be a chairPERSON!!! Correctness gone mad! At one stage they even wanted to ban blackboards (chalk boards I believe they are also known as outside the UK).

Returning to the China theme, we have Cockney rhyming sland, which has "Hello me old CHINA". This comes from the shortened China Plate, which = mate, so its actually a greeting to a friend "Hello me old mate". Is this racist? Naw!!!!!!

There's no 'racism' in what he said. I find that Hey China and Hey Australia are both comparable. Just because China is an asian country and Australia is a predominantly caucasian country, they are both 'countries' and places of origin, there was no direct or indirect insult by saying so. In fact, assuming that the world is racist, is a form of prejudice. Whether it's Hey China, Hey India, Hey Canada, Hey England or Hey Sri Lanka, I don't see a difference whatsoever, (except for the country).. No racism intended.

Hey Steve some of us Americans are Southern and proud of it!!!!!! Yank, that is a awful thing to call us, worse than racist. But seeing you can use Naw I guess we can overlook a Brit. Now being serious. If a person is proud of their country how could calling them by their countries name be racist? Maybe impersonal and very generalized but racist nope. I live in the Southern US and we have big time Racist here. All the rest of you guys are just wanna bees and calling somebody the name of their country has no part of being nasty and mean. Americans have many things we call Brits, until the fighting starts. Most are not good but when it gets tough we call each other partners.

Actually in Australian slang Hey China is short for Hey China Plate, which is rhyming slang for Mate.

So basically they might have been saying Yo Dude.

Anyway, it seems a bit odd, sounds more like bad grammar than bad manners.

Also, many people living abroad or from ethnic backgrounds end up more sensitive than they should be because of past racism.

To give you an example, my manager was upset about some clip art representing asians in what he thought was a negative way. I pointed out to him that these clip art images were from Asia. You see Asians offer represent their own cliches in ways that people living abroad might find offensive.

Anway, you have the right to called what you want to be called.

Next time someone says "hey China". Don't attack them and call them racist, just ask tell them you don't like to be address in that way.

PS: Chinese friends in China always refer to me as "foriegn friend". Which annoys me. But they also have Shanghai friend, Old friend, young friend etc. So I guess it is ok, just as long as they don't call me Foriegn Devil (which really annoys me). Though if a sexy chinese girl suggetively calls me "foriegn devil" that is ok.

• schank

it is achieveable in racer language i assume... it is why you're Madhavi's student and not mine...besides the reality that i'm against corporal punishment in faculties, you would be my one exception, lol! yet i will use this shaggy dog tale in one in each and every of my training, it is variety of humorous :p, i will permit you be responsive to in the event that they giggle or no longer ;)) consider numb coronary heart, lol...hmmmm do you paintings for the media or plan on transforming into a member of a politic "race" lost???

• Oscar

I don't get it. I think the whole thing resides in your mind. A little to thin skinned. If someone called me hey America it would not bother me. But then I am proud of my country. Why are you not?

I think you have got the whole racist thing wrong.

I feel great pride when someone calls me a limey, a jock, a taff or a paddy - all absolutely great races.

Why are people so conditioned to see the negative side of things.

Hey China, you can call me Canada

Depends on what that persons has to say following that, it could mean hey buddy or hey chink.