• Science & Mathematics >
  • Medicine
  • Science & Mathematics >
  • Medicine

What drugs where issued to people in the late 60's with bipolar disorder ?

• Follow publicly
  • Follow privately
  • Unfollow
I had to change my story's year for school because I could find Nothing about the early 1900s So I know deffinatly in the 60s late 60s that there where different types of ...show more
Best AnswerAsker's Choice
Lithium, elavil, and sometimes thorazine was used to control the mania phases. Also drugs aside the use of electro-shock therapy was used frequently.

Source:

My mom is bi-polar and so am I

Asker's rating & comment

3 out of 5
thanks :)
  • 1
    0
  • Comment

Other Answers (2)

• Relevance
  • Rating
  • Oldest
  • Newest
  • jannsody answered 5 years ago
    Perhaps the medication called Lithium. It's not typically prescribed these days with the newer Depakote (anticonvulsant mood stabilizer) and other meds since Lithium may have serious side effects including potential damage to the kidneys.
    • 0
      0
    • Comment
  • sal1970 answered 5 years ago
    in the late 60's, people who were bipolar were called maniac depressives. they were
    given Lithium to control the manic phase and tricyclic antidepressants such as amitriptyline (Elavil) to
    control the depressive phase. Lithium was approved for use in the USA by the FDA in 1970.

Source(s):

Pharmacist
    • 0
      0
    • Comment
  • what drugs where issued to people in the late 60's with bipolar disorder ?
    I had to change my story's year for school because I could find Nothing about the early 1900s
    So I know deffinatly in the 60s late 60s that there where different types of medications givin to people who suffered from this dissorder, people who actually know of these medications can you please tell me their names ? thanks
    Sign In 

to add your answer

2

Who is following this question?

%
    BEST ANSWERS
    Member Since:
    Points: Points: Level
    Total Answers:
    Points this week:
    Follow

Unfollow

Block

Unblock