How to make a piece of paper hold 220 lbs. of pressure?

theres thing i have to do in school where we can only use 1 piece of paper and 6in. of mascin tape to make it hold 200 lbs. of pressure.......any idea on how i could do that? thnx

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Best Answer

put it flat on the floor, it will hold at least 1000 pounds.

• 1 decade ago

Roll it into a tube and make the diameter very small like as small as or smaller than a drinking straw. Use part of the paper to make and wad very thick plugs of paper to stick in each end. If necessary chew the paper up to make a nice thick wad. The amount of pressure it will hold is inversely proportional to the diameter of the tube and it is proportional to the thickness of the paper.

A paper tube a foot in diameter will only hold 1/12th of the pressure of a tube 1 in in diameter if the paper thickness is the same.

By the way PingPong is able to think outside the box.

• 1 decade ago

Just write 200 lbs (more if you like) of pressure on a piece of paper and tape it down with the masking tape and that should hold the pressure down....and out.

• 1 decade ago

Roll the paper up and tape the mascin tape around the centre where the weight will be concentrated?

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

You could fold the paper up in a zig-zag - like /\/\/\, then put pieces of tape across the top and bottom to keep the paper from flattening out. You're making a zig-zag corrugated structure. I don't know about 200lbs, but it'll hold a lot.

Source(s): Past experience.
  • 1 decade ago

well every time u fold the piece of paper u take the strenght of it and cube it so therefore jsut fold it several time until it cannot be folded anymore and slap some tape on the two ends to hold it together and there you go good luck

• 1 decade ago

fold the paper up a bunch of times until it is very thick

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.