Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsBaseball · 1 decade ago

Will MLB ever embrace the NBA/NHL playoff format?

It seems to me that the postseason would be alot more exciting if adding another 7 game series to the traditional format, and changing the LDS to 7 games also. Of course the season would have to be cut back to 154 games or something like that.

Would you like this format better than what is used now? and can you see this ever happening?

• Fungo
    Favorite Answer

Adding another level of MLB playoff games would only put more of burden on tired pitching staffs and guarantee the World Series will be played in November. I agree the regular season should be reduced to 154 games, but keep the current playoffs as is.

The NBA/NHL format allows too many teams into the playoffs - making the total season much too long. However, it seems what's good for TV is good for reach league's bottom line.

I do not see MLB adopting the NBA/NHL playoff format in the foreseeable future.

Personally, I think a 7 game LCS is too long. I think the first round should be only 3 games, second round 5 games, world series 7 games. And, the MLB needs less off days in the postseason. There is no reason to have a off day between games 1 and 2 of the LDS or games 4 and 5 of the LCS.

• Linda

I would prefer 2-2-1-1-1 for all playoffs. It makes for a more exciting and evenly matched series. I don't think the NBA goes 2-3-2 in the finals because they're worried about player fatigue. They do it to minimize travel costs for the reporters and media outlets covering the game. Newspapers and TV stations all over the country (and heck, all over the world) have to decide if they're going to send someone to cover the finals, or just rely on wire reports. A big part of that decision is "How much will it cost?" 2-3-2 cuts several expensive airplane flights off of the total.

• Mr.B

Oh please no. The NBA and NHL let way too many teams in, it renders the regular season meaningless. In the last ten games of the season in either of those leagues, all that is happening is all the mediocre teams are fighting it out for the last playoff spots. Personally, I don't think it's all that exciting. I much prefer MLB where the playoff battles (usually) are between good teams with winning percentages over .550.

It ain't broke, so let's not 'fix' it.

• JerH1

I would consider it unlikely. It really comes down to a trade-off between making the playoffs more exciting and making the regular season more exciting. When half the league makes the playoffs, it reduces the need to play well during the regular season. In MLB, making the playoffs at all means you were among the best; in the other leagues, it simply means you were at least average.

• BB JR

If they MLB has the same playoff format as those leagues,then the season will likely be shortned,because it would be very exhausting just playing all those games without no break

i don't like it there at all,i like how it is right now

Source(s): BB JR

you mean the leagues that lets more than half the leagues teams make it to the playoffs? The one that puts mediocre teams possibly below 500 for a season with the elite where it shouldnt be. If they do that then the regular season would barely matter. Teams should have to fight their hardest to be in the playoffs. No way!!!

I hope they never do this. The playoffs are supposed to be for the best teams! What is the point of even watching the regular season when pretty much every team that is above average is going to make it in to the playoffs anyway?

You'd also have .500 mediocre teams getting hot in the playoffs and winning the World Series. No thanks.

Wow. A completely meaningless regular season AND an interminable postseason tournament where the first round is a mere formality.

Yeah, sign up MLB, stat.

Not.

• ?

And they'll play the World Series in January. The playoffs are much too long now.

Sarge