Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsReptiles · 1 decade ago

My turtle wont eat , Help ?

I have a Red-Eared Slider Turtle (a water turtle). It doesn't want to eat, the only thing i feed it is those little turtle pallets. What do i do to get it to eat? And my turtle is really tiny like 1.5 or about 2 inches long .

Favorite Answer

Have you gotten the turtle within the last couple of weeks? If so, don't worry; it will eat when it settles down. Do check the water temperature, which should be around 80°F. If there is no reson for it not eating, try small earthworms. Just slip them into the water for the turtle to find.

Forget the lettuce. Plant material is only for adults and head lettuce is useless nutritionally. Pellets should be a supplement, not the main food. Concentrate on earthworms, bait fishes, and strips of liver dusted in bone meal.

this is what I found from a resolved question about your exact situation, (with same bree of turtle)

"first is its tank the right temp?? cool water will put them off their food, they associate it with hibernation.

baby turtles are more carnivorous than adult turtles, shrimp, baby guppies/goldfish but not all the time (half dead, leave out of water) they provide calcium and protein, I buy dried mix of shrimp, baby fish etc. worms may need to be small.

try waving the food in front of them with long tweezers, they like it to be moving.

mine would eat shrimp all day everyday, if i let them. Look online and there are alsorts of mixes avail to feed them. a local guy here makes fresh turtle mix. look around, mine also like boiled eggyolk, meal worm.

they are like children, no owner will have the same food combo i dont think, they can be fussy."

hope this helps

• marria

I used to have 2 turtles, so i will relate to what you're asserting. Did you get your turtle from a puppy shop? I have been given mine from a puppy shop, and one in each of them develop into sick when I have been given it (i did no longer are conscious of it on the time nonetheless). It does no longer consume something the two, or perhaps nonetheless I spent countless money procuring countless issues (like fancy heaters and eye drops), it did die rather straight away. My advice could be to take the turtle to the vet ASAP and see what he recommends, extremely than do what I did and attempt a team of random issues XD wish this helped!

My turtle likes cat food and shrimp

Feed it something else like umm lettuce (vegetarian turtle) or something meaty for carnivorous turtle

Maybe he doesnt like the food your feeding him or he eats while your away give him some time and hell eventually eat patience

maybe it's because it's winter and it's hibernating. Turtles hibernate afterall.

Tell him if he doesn't eat i'm gonna come over and lay down the law.

give it other food i givemine shrimps and he loves it

is it hungry? try changing its food to like lettuce or something idk im not a turtle expert... i want a turtle- that would be kickass!