Joe asked in Cars & TransportationAircraft · 1 decade ago

Where can I find a Salvaged 777 or 747 cockpit?

The title is explanatory, but inform me... I'd like to make a home simulator as a project preferably with a 777 cockpit, but I can settle with a 747. Where can I get it, how much is it, shipping, etc. If I can find it in the desert storage areas, is there a website or phone # that I can get in touch with them for more info? I'm Ambitious!

Favorite Answer

You could buy the salvaged aircraft and cut out the flight deck area. It would cost you a minimum of about $375,000 for an old 747. After you remove the flight deck, you might sell the remaining airframe for $30,000 or so to a scrap buyer. So the first problem is money. If you have that kind of money, fine; go ahead.

After you cut out the flight deck from the airframe, you will have to cut it into at least 2-3 pieces so it will fit onto flat bed trucks for shipment. When it arrives at your home, you will have to reassemble it. Be sure to check your local ordinances and building codes to make sure it is legal to set this up on your property. It shouldn't be a problem if you live outside city limits. If you live in the city, you will probably have to get a variance from the city planning board.

The next thing you need to consider is that the flight deck of an old airliner will have been stripped of everything you want. The instruments, yokes, control levers, switch panels, seats, doors, and cabinets will all be gone. Those airplanes are left in the desert in a condition such that only a scrap aluminum dealer would be interested in them.

I know a person who built a reasonable simulation of a space shuttle flight deck out of lumber and plywood, and constructed all the instrument and control panels. Did the whole thing for just a couple of thousand dollars. Went to a junkyard and bought "captain's chairs" out of wrecked vans to simulate the seats. So projects of that type can be done, and it can be fun. It even has a slow-speed motor drive with cables and pulleys so he can tilt it down flat or straight up for "launching."

Hate to paint such a negative picture for you, but realistically that's the sort of situation you are most likely to run into. If you want to look into it yourself, try an internet search on "aircraft salvage."

Source(s): old pilot

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

The title is explanatory, but inform me... I'd like to make a home simulator as a project preferably with a 777 cockpit, but I can settle with a 747. Where can I get it, how much is it, shipping, etc. If I can find it in the desert storage areas, is there a website or phone # that I can get in...

Source(s): find salvaged 777 747 cockpit: https://shortly.im/aVhvJ

I'm a flight simmer too, but I wouldn't get my hopes high. Here's why:

1) The Boeing 777 is a fairly new aircraft. Most airlines find them highly useful I don't think you would find one in any airplane "bone yard" in storage or waiting to be scrapped.

2) The only 747 cockpit you could probably get your hands on are the old-fashioned, all-analog (not glass cockpit) ones from the -100, -200, or -300. To date only one 747-400 has been scrapped, and for spare parts too, so I doubt you would find the cockpit of a 747-400.

So unless you will accept an analog cockpit, you will not find what you are looking for.

I saw a web page once about a guy who did just the same thing, with an actual 737 cockpit. He documented what it cost him and how much work it was, and it was in his garage. Now he has a house he cannot sell, and a simulator that is nearly worthless to anyone but him. I don't know what it cost to finish, but to look realistic I'm sure it was quite a bit.

My suggestion? Save your money and fly a real simulator that someone else owns. Or, get a job at an airline and you will fly the real thing. Can't do that? Don't do something that seems pretty crazy, just because you can't do what you want to do with your life. I wouldn't buy a realistic doll if I couldn't find a wife, which is a similar principal.

Source(s): Airline Captain

Almost nobody has used actual aircraft hardware for flight simulators in the last 30 years or so. Since the use of simulators for flight training has literally exploded there are quite a few companies that manufacture cockpit shells, instruments, and furnishings specifically for simulator use. They actually cost less than aircraft parts because they are not tested for airworthiness and they come almost plug and play ready to be driven by computer.

Here's a start.

737 Cockpit For Sale

A real one will cost major $$$ to obtain and to equip. Then you have to hook it up to whatever simulator engine you're using. A fun idea, but it's going to be an insane amount of work. You could learn to fly (for real) and buy a fairly nice plane for what this could cost.

Have you seen what applications like X-Plane can do with multiple monitors? I'm impressed, and I don't impress easily when it comes to computer stuff. I currently have X-Plane on my Mac, but am thinking of putting together a multi-monitor multi-core fancy video superbox for bad weather.

Wow, you sure are! I've thought of doing the same thing but don't have the money or the skills. I'd love to follow along if you do a blog or something.

At the Boneyard in Arizona. Be sure to take a bunch of $$$$$$$$.

Source(s): History Channel.