how can I make filters for my house-spot lights?

I have spot lights that go on at night right? Well its getting to be Christmas time and I wanted to see if we could put red and green filters on them. Something to give the cast off on the house color. They get incredibly hot so I'm wondering what kind of material I could use and such. Ideas?

they have a similar structure to these http://i.ehow.com/images/GlobalPhoto/Articles/5303... only mine are a metal and hardwired not solar powered ( = really frikin hot)

Best Answer

Lighting gel (or colour gel), used in film lighting, is safe around hot light bulbs. You can find it online and maybe locally if you have a film or theatre lighting supply place around. Probably best to get pieces large enough to fold around the front of the lights so the gel goes far enough back to be taped on to a cooler area, or held on with a pieces of wire. If you want strong colours, buy fairly strong coloured gel. Lighter colours are meant only for subtle colour changes.

I just spray paint mine. Clean the bulb...dry...place in plastic cup and spray several light coats drying between coats with a blow dryer. You can buy them in different colors also. When the season is over you can scrub the paint off.

Sorry I just looked at the pic! They sell those bulbs in colors.

If you put anything over them you will over heat them and burn them out.

You could put a colored glass 6" in front of them without over heating them.