Why does the church ask for 10% of your income when there is no place in the bible to prove it?

Places where tithing is recommended...Every third year a tenth of the agricultural increase is to be given to the priests and the poor.

Deuteronomy 14:27 And the Levite that is within thy gates; thou shalt not forsake him; for he hath no part nor inheritance with thee.

28 At the end of three years thou shalt bring forth all the tithe of thine increase the same year, and shalt lay it up within thy gates: 29 And the Levite, (because he hath no part nor inheritance with thee,) and the stranger, and the fatherless, and the widow, which are within thy gates, shall come, and shall eat and be satisfied; that the Lord thy God may bless thee in all the work of thine hand which thou doest.

Deuteronomy 26:12 When thou hast made an end of tithing all the tithes of thine increase the third year, which is the year of tithing, and hast given it unto the Levite, the stranger, the fatherless, and the widow, that they may eat within thy gates, and be filled;

The tithe is to be used to feed the priests, travelers, and the poor at the tithers home.

There is no place in the Bible stating that ten percent of your income should

be given for any kind of religious purpose every year other than a feast and any doctrines or practices that demand such funds are committing extortion if they attempt to justify this with scripture.

Tithe is of agricultural origin. Leviticus 27:30 Tithe rules for priests. Numbers 18:24

Rules for eating the tithe. Deuteronomy12:17 Tithes to priests. 2Chronicles 31:4,Nehemiah 10:37, Nehemiah 12:44, Nehemiah 13:5 For those people who love to boast about how much they give...Tithing is not to boast about.

Matthew 23:23 Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye pay tithe of mint and anise and cummin, and have omitted the weightier matters of the law, judgment, mercy, and faith: these ought ye to have done, and not to leave the other undone.

Luke 11:42 But woe unto you, Pharisees! for ye tithe mint and rue and all manner of herbs, and pass over judgment and the love of God: these ought ye to have done, and not to leave the other undone.

Okay so I cut and paste Big deal! just prove why you should give your hard earned money to some man who claims that God needs it. If he is God then he can make his own money.

• Favorite Answer

You are absolutely correct! BUT......

The churches would NEVER tell people that they are not required to pay tithes! Before I finally began studying, and learning the truth, I gave a LOT of money to the Pentecostal church I used to attend....... The funny thing was listening to the pastor do his little "mini-sermons" about some people being "robbers of God", if they did not "pay their tithes".

Come to think of it, that was a big, fine church.......

I have never in my life been in any church that required anybody to give anything. We have always been asked to give what we can and 10% has been the "recommended" tithe based on passages like the ones you quoted, but no church I know of has said "you can't attend if you don't pay." If you're in a church that demands your money, then you need to find a new church, because most of them, while they need the money to maintain themselves, are not in it for the money. I know what my pastor is paid (churches openly disclose their budgets as well), and I make 3 times what he does. Also, you should realize that generally 10% of a congregation typically contribute 90% of the funds. And we don't make a big show of it. Nobody knows who in the congregation gives how much, not even the pastor. Only the church treasurer, who keeps the records and sends out the tax documents knows. When the plate is passed, nobody watches to see who puts in and who doesn't. You can even set up auto-debit against your checking account so you don't even have to publicly contribute.

Exactly! We are to tithe our FOOD we grow and give ALMS (money) to the poor, the needy, the fatherless, and the widow who can not support herself. Any one who insists that they are entitled to 10% of my money is just a wolf among sheep! A fleecer of the flock! A charlatan! And a False Brother!

Where is the 'store house' ? It is the Temple in Jerusalem, that's where, and that Temple was destroyed 2,000 Years ago!! The only ones who could be said to be entitled to anything are the Levi's! And that priesthood was done away with with the destruction of the Temple!

By giving our "title" to the poor we are loaning to YHWH, who keeps a record in Heaven of what we give and how we give, this is the "treasure" laid up in Heaven for us.

So, How Much do You have in Heavens Bank?

• Slick

My tithing began in Abraham, of whose "seed" I am because of Christ in me. For me then Malachi the prophet promised a special blessing for tithers in Malachi 3:8 "Will a man rob God? Yet ye have robbed me. But ye say, Wherein have we robbed thee? In tithes and offerings". Malachi 3:10 "Bring ye all the tithes into the storehouse, that there may be meat in mine house, and prove me now herewith, saith the Lord of hosts, if I will not open you the windows of heaven, and pour you out a blessing, that there shall not be room enough to receive it."

While unbelievers go benefit from tithing, the blessings from tithing were meant for support of gospel ministers who couldn't spend enough time ministering effectively if they had to work a daily shift in a quarry or lentil field. Paul said they are worth their hire, meaning support them. Regular sustained support has to be based on tithes, not tips. In the Bible a "tithe" is simply "tenth", while an acceptable "offering" is over and above the basic tithe. I've watched hundreds of Christians battle tithing, dropping pocket change in the plate occasionally, the very ones living poorly yet some making good salaries. They tend to be grinches in some way, sour, not fun to be around, often sick or in pain, highly distrustful of neighbors. They will have hundreds of dollars n them all the time, but almost always let you be the one picking up their lunch tab as well as laying out the tips. The exception might be parting with a 5% tip. If that happens I slip another 10%.

God isn't getting the money, doesn't counterfeit our currency. He won't grow it on trees. It's our responsibility to work and support spread of the gospel, or go into paid ministry.

I've visited several mega churches that do require members to have tithes paid up to date. Many more churches I know, like large Assemblies of God, require proper tithing in order to fill some ministry, like musician, vocalist, teacher. It's rare to hear any person serving in ministry complaining about it. It's those who enjoy the air conditioning and free potluck plates who never give that complain the loudest. It should be natural to want to help keep the lights on in a regular fashion where you call the place "home". Our second home is church. I will not give up seeing God bless us greatly by dropping the tithe and offerings.

Numbers 18:26 says to give a tenth.

God was telling the Levites to give a tenth of their inheritance which was the land God gave them.

Nehemiah 10:38 also says to give a tenth.

This was mentioned in the OT but to leave it simplified the churches have just left it at 10%.

The church does not ask for your money, at least it shouldn't. We can read for ourselves in the bible that Abraham was the first to give 10% of his wealth to God, and the new testament tells us to be 'cheerful givers.' Whatever we give, we only give back what God has already given us. We try to be good stewards of these things (not just money) on earth, in order to be trusted with things in heaven. If God promises to bless his people when they are generous (and this doesn't mean just the church, but generally) then it's only right that our leaders, who will be accountable to God one day for the things they teach, should let us in on this.

money is not a problem of any religion and no any religion can claim for that,it is a personal thing,to pay for expenses, we may say that it is a charity, our Holy Quran teach us that donate for God in the name of God, it is a loan, which HE will return it us in increase at the day last, it is only a choice, not a tax of 10%.

Source(s): Religion

Why do some people feel compelled to find everything in the Bible, when there is nothing in the Bible that says we should??

You might add that Jesus said "you received free, give free"

Yes, money is needed to keep the lights and heat and water on in your place of worship, but that should be covered by voluntary donations based on the person's financial situation... not mandatory and certainly not a prescribed amount.

• .

This is just more proof that you can believe in God without having a fancy building with a high electric bill. Someone has to pay the bills. It's the congregation. There is your reason that I don't bother to be a hypocrite and attend church.